Structural change in habitat over time without Spatial Temporal Data Framework?

Dries Lorré

Jan 31, 2024, 8:58:04 AMJan 31
to EwE users
Hi everyone,

I am quite new to EwE, but generally as a modeler, I like to keep my models simple. This brings me to my question:

For my research, I want to implement offshore wind farms into Ecopath (Ecospace!). My plan is to implement them as MPA's, but I also want to include the changes in structural habitat (additional hard substrate, which will benefit epifaunal growth AND habitat loss for certain birth species) which will of course also effect the foodweb and ecology locally. I currently do not have the Spatial-Temporal data framework (STDF) installed.

I was wondering if there is a way to include the change in local habitat (which occurs on the moment the offshore wind farm is installed) without the STDF? Can you include links or attributes to MPAs in Ecospace? This could make it possible to run the model over my period of interest while including all changes.

On the other hand, when it is more advisable to use the STDF, I can still use it. But it seems worth finding out ;)

Thanks for the help!

Miriam Püts

Jan 31, 2024, 9:16:11 AMJan 31
to EwE users
Hi!

We have included structural changes with offshore wind farms for our paper (see Püts et al. 2023 Trade-offs between fisheries, offshore wind farms and marine protected areas in the southern North Sea - Winners, losers and effective spatial management). We added an additional habitat and included a preference for certain species to this habitat. However, I did use the STDF to "activate" the habitat structure at a point in time at which the OWFs were build. So I think STDF is necessary, but I might overlook some possibilities.

Best,

Miriam

EwE development team

Jan 31, 2024, 9:22:37 AMJan 31
to Dries Lorré, EwE users
Hi Dries,

We did something similar with the MSP Challenge serious game (doi 10.5751/ES-11580-250221). You can change MPA enforcement during the Ecospace run via the new MPA Dynamics plug-in, but indeed, if you want to bring in other effects as well such as noise, artificial substrate effect etc, you will probably need to insert various maps. This requires the STDF, or you can write a bit of clever code to insert various maps into the running Ecospace model (which is exactly what the STDF does).

Hope this helps,
Jeroen

PS: All, be aware that the EwE 40 abstract submission deadline is approaching rapidly!

Dries Lorré

Jan 31, 2024, 10:17:31 AMJan 31
to EwE users
Hi Miriam, hi Jeroen,

Thank you both for the quick response! In that case I will definitely look into the STDF.

See you on EwE 40 ;)

Dries