Next EvoLunch seminar: Claudia Bank

Evolunch seminar

Jul 11, 2024, 5:02:16 AM (6 days ago) Jul 11
to group...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-z...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-r...@lists.ist.ac.at, group...@lists.ist.ac.at, evolv...@googlegroups.com, evol...@lists.ist.ac.at, claudi...@unibe.ch

Dear Evolunchers,

It is our great pleasure to announce our next EvoLunch seminar and the last of this season!!

Claudia Bank
University of Bern

Fitness landscapes for the study of eco-evolutionary dynamics

Wednesday, 17th July, 2024
11:00 CET

Mondi 2 ab, ISTA
Hybrid Meeting (zoom link here)

Abstract

Fitness landscapes are maps that describe the relationship between genotypes, phenotypes, and/or fitness. Initially proposed as a theoretical concept almost a century ago, the theory of fitness landscape has been applied at multiple biological scales in the context of research in adaptation, speciation, molecular evolution, systems biology, etc. Moreover, in the past two decades, increasingly large experimental fitness landscapes have been screened, primarily at the within- or between-gene level. In this talk, I will highlight fitness landscape research across biological levels. Specifically, I will focus on the incorporation of ecological interactions in fitness landscape models, resulting in so-called “deformable” fitness landscapes, and discuss what these models can teach us about evolution..

Biography:

Claudia Bank defended her PhD at the Vetmeduni in Vienna in 2012. After that, she moved to Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne as a postdoc, and in 2016 she started the Evolutionary Dynamics group at Gulbenkian Science Institute in Portugal. Since 2020, she has been the head of the Division of Theoretical Ecology and Evolution at the University of Bern.

Her group studies diverse ecological and evolutionary topics, such as speciation, adaptation, and the role of epistasis. They use both theoretical and statistical approaches. Here is her group webpage: https://banklab.github.io/.

To meet with Claudia, please sign up here.

Dinner: Additionally, on Tuesday 16th July right after the MMEE program, ~17:30 in Vienna, we will take Cluadia out for dinner. If you are interested in joining us, please contact Kseniia Khudiakova (kseniia.k...@ist.ac.at).

Looking forward to seeing you there!

The Evolunch team

Evolunch seminar

5:09 AM (17 hours ago) 5:09 AM
to group...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-z...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-r...@lists.ist.ac.at, group...@lists.ist.ac.at, evolv...@googlegroups.com, evol...@lists.ist.ac.at, claudi...@unibe.ch

Dear Evolunchers,

This is a reminder about our next EvoLunch seminar tomorrow.

[...]

Dinner: Today, Tuesday 16th July right after the MMEE program, ~17:30 in Vienna, we will take Cluadia out for dinner. It will be somewhere close to the math department. If you are interested in joining us, please contact Kseniia Khudiakova (kseniia.k...@ist.ac.at).

Looking forward to seeing you there!

The Evolunch team

[EXTERNAL EMAIL - USE CAUTION when clicking links or attachments]