Net Evolunch seminar : Hilde Schneemann

1 view

Evolunch seminar

May 31, 2024, 6:51:04 AMMay 31
to group...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-z...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-...@lists.ist.ac.at, group-r...@lists.ist.ac.at, group...@lists.ist.ac.at, evolv...@googlegroups.com, evol...@lists.ist.ac.at
Dear Evolunchers,

It is our great pleasure to announce our next Evolunch seminar:

Hilde Schneemann
ISTA

A fitness landscape perspective on genetic interactions and their role in hybrid fitness

Wednesday, 5th May, 2024
11:00 CET

Mondi 2 a&b, ISTA
Hybrid Meeting (zoom link here)

Abstract
When genetically  differentiated populations come into contact and interbreed, their  hybrid offspring will contain a mosaic of the genetic variants  characterising the parental lineages, re-arranged into novel  combinations. The fitness of these hybrids is central to the evolution  of reproductive isolation, but also plays an important role in crop and  animal breeding. Remarkably, there are several widespread patterns of  hybrid fitness that are observed consistently across widely divergent  taxa. These patterns suggest that we can learn something fundamental  about general properties of genetic systems by studying data from  hybrids. Here I will explore what insights can be gained from a simple  fitness landscape model about (i) the signatures of parental divergence on epistatic interactions, and (ii) the effects of ploidy on hybrid fitness.

Biography:
Hilde is a postdoc in the Barton group interested in genetic interactions, hybridization and speciation. During her PhD at the University of Cambridge she worked with John Welch on fitness landscape models to study patterns of hybrid fitness. Previously, she did the MEME masters in evolutionary biology during which she worked with Thomas Lenormand in Montpellier on models of enhancer runaway, and with Nicolas Galtier on adaptive rates of molecular evolution.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

The Evolunch team

Upcoming seminars: