Magna Plant making Hummer EV Battery Compartments

evln

Mar 8, 2021, 10:23:42 PM3/8/21
to evln

Magna Breaks Ground On Plant For Hummer EV Battery Compartments
2021-02-27 ... GM is working with its supplier, Magna, to build battery enclosures for its upcoming Hummer EV. The 345,000 square foot facility is expected to add 300 jobs to the city of St. Clair over the next 5 years. “Bringing this new battery enclosure technology to market is another example of Magna’s ability to deliver a full-system solution to automakers supporting their focus on a lower emissions future,” said John Farrell, President of Cosma International, Magna’s body and chassis group. “The move toward electrification allows us to rethink what is possible and demonstrate how we can leverage our core strengths to continue bringing customers innovative solutions that help them meet their goals, no matter how challenging.” ... This gives the battery compartment a complex shape. Not only does it need to be made to sling the batteries low on the bottom of the car, but it must also be rigid and strong enough to hold all of the weight of batteries. To do both of those things, a complex design is needed. They aren’t just metal boxes ...

For EV List News posts view: