EV risk to firefighters

evln

Jan 10, 2021, 10:22:03 PM1/10/21
to evln

https://www.wickedlocal.com/story/journal-sun/2020/12/30/stoughton-randolph-canton-holbrook-first-responders-rescue-victims-jaws-life/3879167001/
Local emergency personnel pry open the jaws of death
12/30/2020 ...  "We have electric cars with batteries. We have to be more like technicians.” ... Battery operated cars present a new risk to firefighters, according to the United States Fire Administration at USFA.fema.gov.  Electric vehicle fires can exceed 5,000 F. Applying water or foam may cause a violent flare-up as the water molecules separate into explosive hydrogen and oxygen gases. There are several risks for first responders associated with electric vehicle fires, including electrical shock up to 400 volts, toxic fumes, lithium burns, toxic runoff, and reignition up to 24 hours after the fire is initially extinguished ... “There is a large battery with cables running through the car we have to be careful not to cut into” ...
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2020/12/10/NWKL/b38e7df1-13c1-4ffa-abf7-f6d2538c2c34-jaws-_FF_Morgan_Genatossio.jpg

For EV List News posts view:
 https://groups.google.com/g/evln/

{brucedp.neocities.org}