1999 Honda EV plus honored in history of EVs

evln

May 17, 2021, 7:38:12 AM5/17/21
to evln

This Guy's One Garage Will Take You Through The History Of Modern EVs
May 14, 2021 ... Randy’s first EV was the difficult-to-obtain CARB special 1999 Honda EV Plus. The EV Plus was part of a dramatic change in the car industry: it was an electric vehicle produced and sold by a major manufacturer that did not rely on lead-acid batteries for its power bank. Instead, it ran off of a nickel-metal hydride unit. That was similar to the Toyota RAV4 EV and GM EV1 of the same era ... (image: 1999 Honda EV plus)

% (My personal first hand experience - I was there)
Way back in the late 1990s, local SF-CA bay area Honda dealers would allow a select few to sign their life away to drive a Honda EV+ for a couple days, to take them to shows or EVents to promote them to the public. I was one of those few (a free sales force). I found the Honda EV+ a very good production EV. I found it roomier and more comfortable than the TMC RAV4 EV (gen1).
I prayed HMC would put it in production and for sale to the public. Sadly, as soon as GM killed their EV1 lease program, other automakers followed suit. Eventually, all EV+ were recalled (like GM's EV1s), crushed, then chewed up into tiny bits (destroyed). Those were very sad times for EV advocates. %

For EV List News posts view: