EVM super-beginner

peachan...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2018, 10:19:25 AM10/11/18
to EVidenceModeler-users
Dear EVM team,

I have some doubts regarding how to use EVM.

From the tutorial I gather that I need to provide the software with the genome in fasta format and the rest of files (alignment evidences) in gff3 format.

I have started the annotation of a genome with MAKER. I used as input the genome, proteins and ESTs. As outputs I got a .gff file with all annotations and evidence alignments, as well as a protein.fasta and ESTs.fasta files.

My question is: how can I produce the different (e.g. protein, transcript) evidence files in .gff format?

Thank you so much!

Best,

Linnie

Brian Haas

Oct 11, 2018, 11:50:10 AM10/11/18
to peachan...@gmail.com, EVidenceModeler-users
Hi Linnie,

Maker might have EVM integration.  I'd suggest checking with the Maker developers.  If you need certain format converters, there's some in the evm utils directory.   There's no fully supported workflow, though... it's up to the user to match the formatting requirements.   I continue to maintain the code, but I'm not actively developing it anymore.

best,

~brian

Brian J. Haas
The Broad Institute
http://broadinstitute.org/~bhaas

peachan...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2018, 4:52:41 PM10/11/18
to EVidenceModeler-users
Hi Brian,

Thanks a lot for your answer! I will make sure to contact the maker developers.

Best,

Linnie

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:19 AM <peachan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear EVM team,

I have some doubts regarding how to use EVM.

From the tutorial I gather that I need to provide the software with the genome in fasta format and the rest of files (alignment evidences) in gff3 format.

I have started the annotation of a genome with MAKER. I used as input the genome, proteins and ESTs. As outputs I got a .gff file with all annotations and evidence alignments, as well as a protein.fasta and ESTs.fasta files.

My question is: how can I produce the different (e.g. protein, transcript) evidence files in .gff format?

Thank you so much!

Best,

Linnie

Craig Jackson

Oct 19, 2018, 3:31:23 PM10/19/18
to EVidenceModeler-users
Hi Linnie,

You may want to check out the funannotate pipeline, which is a complete genome annotation pipeline (gene prediction and funcational annotation) that uses EVM, (and trinity, PASA, augustus, genemark, etc).
It produces transcript, protein evidence, etc .gff and .fa like you wanted to produce, from the EVM output and other software.
It also produces NCBI submission ready output as well, which is useful if you plan on submitting genome to NCBI database.

https://funannotate.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

It can be a bit daunting to install, but I managed with anaconda/bioconda combined with some modules already installed on my cluster and a few manual dependency installations.

Cheers,
Craig

Brian Haas

Oct 19, 2018, 4:41:12 PM10/19/18
to Craig Jackson, EVidenceModeler-users
Sounds neat!  Uses much of my tool stack.  🤗

-Brian
(by iPhone)