RIP Steven Weinberg

Bruno Marchal

Sep 8, 2021, 9:39:14 AM9/8/21
to Everything List
Steven Weinberg is no more, since recently. I did appreciate very much his books on quantum mechanics, and also his introduction to quantum field theory.

I have mentioned more than once his work showing that if you delinearise a little bit quantum mechanics, not only you cannot make the parallel worlds/histories disappearing, but somehow, it makes possible to visit those parallel worlds, or, to use an image by Weinberg, to call your doppelgänger with a phone.

This provides a quantum and dual way to refute John Clark argument against the first person indeterminacy in arithmetic. John argue dans le parallel histories in arithmetic allows in principle the doppelgänger to meet, so that it is different from the indeterminacy on the superposition. But the point is that the indeterminacy calculus cannot change based on such counterfactual, unless adding magic to Mechanism, but then Mechanism is false by definition. A dual counterexample based on this work by Weinberg is that delineairsing a little bit the Schroedinger equation, in such a way that the indeterminacy remains unchanged, makes the doppelgänger accessible, like with the classical duplication, and yet does not change the calculus of indeterminacy different, illustrating once again you need to add magic to Mechanism to avoid, like in quantum mechanics, the first person indeterminacy.

A more serious difficulty is to make people understand the original paper of Turing, Church, Post, which shows (along with Gödel) that the arithmetical reality is (more than) Turing complete. This follows from understanding arithmetic, or, at a more formal level, by understanding that all models of arithmetic have the same initials segment in which addition and multiplication stay Turing emulable (which is not the case in the whole non standard models. this requires a bit of mathematical logic, which is not well taught, when taught at all.

Once you grasp this, even without Mechanism, you can understand that the burden of the proof is in the hand of those who add some more axioms to arithmetic, like the existence of some "primitive matter" which have to justify its role in consciousness selection from arithmetic. In deductive theology, it is better to not add any ontological commitment before a reason is provided to it. Up to now, observation confirms mechanism. If they was one fact in favour of non mechanism, or in favour of something more than numbers, I would welcome it, but there are none, as far as I know. On the contrary, Everett QM confirms all prediction of classical Digital Mechanism, and explains furthermore the qualia and consciousness, as notion of knowledge imposed through self-reference and incompleteness.

Bruno

spudb...@aol.com

Sep 9, 2021, 6:32:46 PM9/9/21
to mar...@ulb.ac.be, everyth...@googlegroups.com

If the universe con be understood as a process, a program, then what is lost, to us forever, may over the duration of our species, found again. It's speculation but speculation with a direction, a goal. It was uncovered so to speak, mechanism-wise, by a team led by Andrew Strominger. If Professor Strominger calls BS, this is fine. Few scientists have any control over the results of their work, here as well.

concerning this study:

Using this machinery as a power support and information processor as advanced by Russian futurists, Alexy Turchin & Maxim Chernyakov.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dyson-sphere-may-key-human-134924660.html

Sean Carroll's views of such claims is: No fricking way!

Dr. Carroll may have been wrong on this, if one ponders that our descendants who will thinkably have more time and resources to play with. Consider:

How confident of this is this American serf? Well, sometimes it works, and other times I poop out. Today is an up day for the lad.
I expect that eventually, things will after a fashion work out, technologically, expectation-wise.

So, like the ancient bumper sticker went, WWHD? What Would Jesus Do, I ask instead, HWJDI? How would Jesus do it?

spudb...@aol.com

Sep 10, 2021, 3:22:41 AM9/10/21
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Er, my original point was, regarding Steve Weinberg's demise,  that you lot may meet up with professor Weinberg in the great faculty lounge in the sky. My thinking is that it looks like our descendants, including smart robots and such, must build and then rebuild the people, places, and things using our happy Dyson sphere to collect the photons to accomplish such a feat, both power and information, if Strominger is accurate?

Will the be physical or virtual? Not a clue. That the surrounding solar system with its interactions of infrared photons with gravity leaving a permanent record(s) (Strominger) seems like A great database in the sky, which is also spot-on with the Hindu's akashic records (sky records). I expect the peoples of 2000 years ago would have responded to this claim (besides a burning) would have sputtered, "What, you think the soul is stored in some kind of sky abacus!!?"

So maybe Weinberg and Turing and John Wheeler, Schrodinger and Wigner will someday far in the distance put out some interesting papers on information and the cosmos? How soon? Well, it will have to be after I get a haircut tomorrow first. Unless machine intelligence greatly boosts our inventiveness.... Poof! commercial fusion! Zap, the schematics for Crispr-Cas99! Thwap! Fast interplanetary cargo craft!...We shall have quite a wait on our hands. I'd go with Prisco's one time estimate of at least thousands of year. Unless Mr. Clark's. or Bruno's quantum music boxes grow some more power, and more reliability we're kind of, well, where the world looks like today.

Example, have you ever thought that if you told people 50 years ago that we'd still be burning coal for electricity and be sending it on cables still hung from wooden poles, that they would've thought you were being too pessimistic? Not that I am ungrateful for these methods still guaranteeing the functioning of modern life, but yeah, where's our flying cars, Mr. Weinberg?

RIP Dr. Weinberg, till the machinery kicks in, someday.