"Experience has shown that, even now, there will still be people explaining in patronizing tones why none of this is real and none of it counts. If such people were capable of being impressed by anything that happens in the empirical world, of updating on anything, they would've already been impressed and already updated several years ago, long before things had reached the point of an actual Mathocalypse.
So, they'll say, maybe the alleged solutions are not solutions at all, but just "AI slop." Or maybe none of the 372 well-known open problems that were solved were real math problems, they were all just glorified contest puzzles and trivialities. (After all, there's still no Riemann Hypothesis!) Or maybe the entire 4000-year-old discipline of mathematics needs to be jettisoned: turns out that it was all just puzzle-solving and trivialities; all that's different is that now the triviality stands unmasked. In any case, what really matters is that the true inner sanctum of human creativity hasn't been breached and probably never will be, and also, that Sam Altman and Dario Amodei are contemptible little nerds.
If you're still a proponent of that doomed worldview, still aboard the sinking ship, I encourage you in the strongest possible terms to read yesterday's other great contribution to AI discourse, besides the OpenAI Mathocalypse dump: namely, Scott Alexander's open letter to Steven Pinker. I feel some responsibility for this, as the person who first introduced Steven Pinker to the existence of the rationalist community, and who also first introduced Steven Pinker and Scott Alexander to one another (they had both been fans of each other's writing). And now Scott is challenging Steve to a literal duel, with guns!
For whatever it's worth: Steve is a lifelong intellectual hero of mine, just as he is for Scott, and I also have to privilege of calling Steve my friend. But I found Scott's post to be one of the most devastating rejoinders to anything that I've ever read. And I thought Scott's conclusion was exactly right: when it comes to AI risk, Steve’s great challenge is now to accept and start using a more “Pinkerite” epistemology.
Last night, while I should've been poring over some of OpenAI's hundreds of papers and/or writing this post, I decided to spend some time with my kids instead. They wanted a movie night, so I suggested something they'd never seen before (and that I hadn't seen for decades), and that seemed chock-full of no-nonsense, practical guidance for the world in which they're going to grow up: Terminator 2.
For those who are wondering: apparently, the AI model that produced all these wonders was not bespoke contraption of 10,000 agents burning millions of dollars worth of compute, as was used for example to construct a finite-time blowup for the Navier-Stokes equations. Instead, it was simply the latest internal OpenAI model---one that might be released to paying ChatGPT customers within the next couple of months, depending on the recommendations of OpenAI's safety board! (My 9-year-old son: "Oh they definitely shouldn't release that. If it could solve all those math problems, it can't possibly be safe.") Apparently they used about 3 hours of GPT-Pro level compute on average per problem solved."