Schrödinger cat states of a 16-microgram mechanical oscillator

1 view

John Clark

May 5, 2023, 8:11:28 AM5/5/23
to 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
The April 20, 2023 issue of the journal Science reports that researchers have been able to put 10^17 atoms with a mass of 1.62*10^-8 kilograms (about the mass of a grain of sand ) into a Schrodinger Cat State. It is by far the most massive object ever put into that bizarre state. I found it particularly interesting because it's coming very close to the Planck Mass of 2.18*10^-8 kilograms, and Roger Penrose claims that, due to gravitational effects, that is the dividing line between the classical physics world and the quantum physics world, he says that for everything more massive than the Planck Mass quantum mechanics will need to be modified. However so far there is no hint of that.

scs