More evidence that environmentalists are NOT serious people

John Clark

May 17, 2023, 7:32:19 AM5/17/23
to 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List

And of course environmentalists will shout that you are the embodiment of evil if you even mention the word "nuclear".

7tt
nsp

spudb...@aol.com

May 18, 2023, 1:37:24 AM5/18/23
to johnk...@gmail.com, everyth...@googlegroups.com
You Sir, are in an intellectually tough spot. You are Progressive on 98% of the issues that most environmentalists align with whatever you term them; women's rights, gay rights, trans rights, immigration, race, crime, and yet, these people are so ideological, they cannot tolerate you?  I get the same from them on Reddit. I do watch whatever is happening with fission news. I stubbornly refuse to accept that fusion will be an earth-based source of energy for humanity till (hand-waving) the 22nd century. Love the research, but a doubter.

In other words, Greta is an actress (How dare you!!) and not an engineer.

What, then, for those who wish to avoid a future climate calamity and supply civilization with power, what do you recommend for keeping things running?

Brent Meeker

May 18, 2023, 11:48:31 AM5/18/23
to spudboy100 via Everything List
I don't know to whom "you, sir" refers.  I'm an advocate of fission reactor power, especially thorium molten salt reactors along with solar and wind power.  As far as I know Greta Thunberg is a student, not an actress.

Brent

John Clark

May 18, 2023, 12:08:39 PM5/18/23
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 11:48 AM Brent Meeker <meeke...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm an advocate of fission reactor power, especially thorium molten salt reactors along with solar and wind power.

Me too.

 > As far as I know Greta Thunberg is a student, not an actress.

And a self-righteous little twit.
541

Jesse Mazer

May 18, 2023, 12:14:21 PM5/18/23
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
The first three stories are about environmentalists protesting building wind/solar on land that it's important to indigenous groups or important habitats for endangered species (the second headline is also misleading, Thunberg herself wasn't involved with the Wyoming protest); in order to show that this means environmentalists were "not serious people" you would have to present an argument that there aren't equally good alternative places to build renewables that don't involve these problems, can you do that?

Here is a study from the Nature Conservancy suggesting otherwise, saying that "With careful and coordinated planning and robust community engagement, the U.S. can build the clean energy infrastructure needed for economy-wide, net-zero emissions by 2050 while avoiding most impacts to sensitive natural and working lands": https://www.nature.org/en-us/what-we-do/our-priorities/tackle-climate-change/climate-change-stories/power-of-place/

John Clark

May 18, 2023, 2:30:47 PM5/18/23
On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 12:14 PM Jesse Mazer <laser...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The first three stories are about environmentalists protesting building wind/solar on land that it's important to indigenous groups

I don't give a damn if they're indigenous or not, I don't see any reason one group of people should be given more consideration than another And Important? More important than global warming which, according to environmentalists, is an existential threat to the entire planet? Never before in the history of Earth have 8 billion individuals of the same species that were as large as human beings existed, like it or not there is simply no way to keep those 8 billion people alive, much less happy, without a gargantuan amount of energy, and environmentalists have never seen a source of energy that they didn't hate. Put it another way, environmentalists are all in favor of any power source except for coal, oil,natural gas, hydroelectric, solar, wind, geothermal and of course nuclear. They say we can't stop global warming unless we make huge changes and they're right about that, but if you make any huge change to society, no matter how beneficial it is overall, it's inevitable that somebody somewhere is going to be unjustly treated as a result of those changes. Environmentalists say there is nothing more important than stopping global warming but, regardless of how helpful a project may be in achieving that lofty goal they are immediately ready to kill it the instant somebody, anybody, says it will be built on land that he thinks an invisible man who made the universe lives on and He wouldn't like it. Environmentalists are dilettantes, they refuse to make the hard decisions that will be necessary to solve huge problems. And that's why I say they are not serious people.

> you would have to present an argument that there aren't equally good alternative places to build renewables that don't involve these problems,

There is no such place, you will always find somebody who says building a new power source of any sort anyplace will be an abomination because it will endanger a snail, or upset a God, or be ugly, or be noisy, or kill little birdies or do something they don't like.  And environmentalists insist that we must act quickly. but also insist that before we so much as put one brick on top of another we must go through endless environmental commissions and long term studies, and even if the studies conclude that no adverse environmental effects will occur there will always be somebody who will disagree and say more study is needed before we do anything and you could be sure that person will call himself an environmentalist.

> Here is a study from the Nature Conservancy suggesting otherwise, saying that "With careful and coordinated planning and robust community engagement, the U.S. can build the clean energy infrastructure needed for economy-wide, net-zero emissions by 2050 while avoiding most impacts to sensitive natural and working lands":

That sounds nice but I can guarantee the iinstant somebody decides to actually build something  that could  help in achieving that difficult goal the Nature Conservancy will insist we need more environmental studies before we start building it, and of course  the Nature Conservancy will not offer an alternate place to build it, but what they will do is complain we are moving too slowly in solving the problem of global warming. As I said, not serious people.

6dq
7tt

On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 7:32 AM John Clark <johnk...@gmail.com> wrote:

nsp

spudb...@aol.com

May 20, 2023, 8:43:38 PM5/20/23
to johnk...@gmail.com, everyth...@googlegroups.com
Now, as a Trumpkin, I do like what happened with Joey's Inflation Reduction Bill.
The solar and battery initiatives can only help matters, environmentally, but also with Putin.
Joey, did however refuse to sign a bill that would cut off a bi-partisan move that would restore cutoffs of China's slave labor panels!
Showing me that once a schmuck always a schmuck!
Still, I give credit where credit is due. This is specifically why I harangue always about policy.

May 20, 2023, 9:21:21 PM5/20/23
to meeke...@gmail.com, everyth...@googlegroups.com
She (Greta)  is an actress descended from actor parents and knows how to give the speeches to her supporters. How Dare You suggest otherwise? :-)

Under Joey, and company, even Bill Gates will not get his Thorium Salt reactors, which seems a technological, tough nut to crack, on ideological reasons. Only in your mind IF a MSR can be produced with very high safety, will these be permitted to coexist with renewables. With conservatives, these will coexist maybe with coal and gas turbines, I grant you. Your team is ideologically against it, and I know this because I interact with the Greens on Reddit. The reason John is exasperated with the Environmentalists, is that he ignores the Marxist-Leninism (21st century flavor) of their politics.

Note: Their goal is not to power civilization via renewable energy, but to have the peasants out of their cars! Or what's an Extinction Rebellion for? You old, time, liberals "will be relegated  to the dust bin of history," as Chuckling, Chucky Marx and Engaging, Engels, once wrote.

As you know Xi is working on the thorium MSR thing, and even there, it won't be available for 15 -25 years, even as a pilot plant.

Renewables, need not work in reality for this crew. For you and John yes, for the 21C Greens, well, some causalities are acceptable for the revolution!

So, what do we do as a species till that glorious time to survive? The is not a concern number 1,2,3, or 4 for your chums. I, even as a vile Trumpkin, have some ideas. Also, let me know what you are up for a chat about the Urban Crime, policies and results. I actually enjoy Desantis better, but am a serf so I takes what I kin!

Top O' the Morn'n to ye!