10-second one-legged stance performance predicts survival in middle-aged and older individuals

Philip Benjamin

Jun 24, 2022, 2:53:22 PMJun 24
to Everything List

From: Philip Benjamin Friday, June 24, 2022 9:37 AM

Subject: 10-second one-legged stance performance predicts survival in middle-aged and older individuals

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/balancing-on-one-leg-for-10-seconds-may-predict-likelihood-of-living-or-dying-study-says/

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/bjsports/early/2022/06/22/bjsports-2021-105360.full.pdf

Successful 10-second one-legged stance performance

predicts survival in middle-aged and older individuals

Claudio Gil Araujo , Christina Grüne de Souza e Silva ,

Jari Antero Laukkanen , Maria Fiatarone Singh,

Setor Kwadzo Kunutsor , Jonathan Myers ,

João Felipe Franca ,Claudia Lucia Castro

Lawrence Crowell

Jun 27, 2022, 1:14:00 PMJun 27
to Everything List
I can do that. I just did it for about 30 seconds.

LC

smitra

Jun 28, 2022, 2:22:41 AMJun 28
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Makes sense to me. If you fail that test you are very frail. Staying
active is the best way to prolong your life:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20180710-whats-it-like-working-past-your-100th-birthday

"And while retiring early is generally thought to be better for your
health, in some circumstances giving up work might achieve the opposite.
One study of blue collar workers in Austria found that men who retired
three and a half years early were 13% more likely to die by the age of
67 – particularly if they were single, lonely and used it as an
opportunity to reduce their physical activity.

South-west of Japan’s main islands, in the East China Sea, is a tropical
outpost that seems to back this up. Okinawa is famed for its high
proportion of centenarians; it’s been estimated that roughly one in
every 2,000 people there are over the age of 100.

Over the years, researchers studying this remarkable place have noticed
several aspects of the Okinawan lifestyle that might explain their
longevity. These include eating lots of vegetables and fewer calories
overall than the average American – but also their attitude to work.

There is no word for “retirement” in the Okinawan language; the locals,
many of whom grew up as farmers and fisherpeople, may carry on working
until they die. Elderly residents live by the principle of “ikigai”,
which is loosely translated as “having a reason to get up in the
morning”. "

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-43308729

"Doing lots of exercise in older age can prevent the immune system from
declining and protect people against infections, scientists say.

They followed 125 long-distance cyclists, some now in their 80s, and
found they had the immune systems of 20-year-olds.

Prof Norman Lazarus, 82, of King's College London, who took part in and
co-authored the research, said: "If exercise was a pill, everyone would
be taking it.

"It has wide-ranging benefits for the body, the mind, for our muscles
and our immune system."

The research was published in the journal Aging Cell.

Prof Janet Lord, director of the Institute of Inflammation and Ageing,
at the University of Birmingham, and co-author of the research, said:
"The immune system declines by about 2-3% a year from our 20s, which is
why older people are more susceptible to infections, conditions like
rheumatoid arthritis and, potentially, cancer.

"Because the cyclists have the immune system of a 20-year-old rather
than a 70- or 80-year-old, it means they have added protection against
all these issues.""

Saibal