Space elevator technology

John Clark

Oct 28, 2022, 11:17:13 AM10/28/22
to 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List

spudb...@aol.com

Oct 29, 2022, 4:37:07 AM10/29/22
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
I haven't watched Anton Petrov for a while on YouTube. What magical material is he proposing that we use to make stable hard to break space elevators?

Such a development could mean I would say would mean a new economic and political age for our species if it pans out?

John Clark

Oct 29, 2022, 7:52:46 AM10/29/22
On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 4:37 AM 'spudb...@aol.com' via Everything List <everyth...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> I haven't watched Anton Petrov for a while on YouTube. What magical material is he proposing that we use to make stable hard to break space elevators?

A way to mass-produced graphene.

gnp

sek

Lawrence Crowell

Oct 29, 2022, 9:35:38 AM10/29/22
to Everything List
The space elevator is not likely to happen IMO. In principle a carbonaceous chondrite asteroid might be captured and placed at geosynchronous orbit. The carbon fibers could in principle be produced there. We could then build up and down to get the entire structure built, with a counter weight beyond geosynch and the tapered elevator down to Earth. However, the problems with doing this are enormous. Even if this were to happen it will be centuries before we do.

LC

Brent Meeker

Oct 29, 2022, 9:10:04 PM10/29/22
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Not only must it be possible, it must be profitable.

Brent

spudb...@aol.com

Oct 30, 2022, 7:35:24 AM10/30/22
to goldenfield...@gmail.com, everyth...@googlegroups.com
Sure, unless machinery drives the research and accelerates discoveries, and, innovations that would take decades in materials science. This won't negate Newtonian mechanics, but other concepts like elevators combine with orbital rings would shore up the against the stresses on the elevators. Radiation for the inhabitants would of course be existential threat, and that would be factored in.

No, I am not betting that this will all be ready by Christmas.

spudb...@aol.com

Oct 31, 2022, 8:18:15 AM10/31/22
to meeke...@gmail.com, everyth...@googlegroups.com
All space ventures need to be driven by the profit motive for a greater return on investment than we expend. Moon mining, and asteroid mining, say, with the Psyche 16 swarm.

The value has been revised down and then back up in the last 2 years by various astronomic guesses. Latest is back up.

NASA Will Launch ‘Psyche’ Mission To Explore Asteroid Worth More Than Then Global Economy

This is 10 quintillion dollars. Why go for this big prize??? The answer is automation via AI & Robots, replacing us all in work, earning a living. This would be the trust fund for humanity. Now ask how soon will Technological Unemployment strike?

I will leave this to the worthies here, but space mining would be a fix. Also new problems such as Qunintillionaires bribing all politicians, etc.

Nov 7, 2022, 3:21:44 AM11/7/22
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful Petrov, was focused on graphene, but here is the proof of principle development that might actually take us up much earlier than dreamed of, for the harvesting of the goodies of the Solar System.

 Ultra Strong Carbon Fibers from Fused DWNT Nanotubes

Going Up!