Transparency settings

1 view

Cymbiotica

Dec 2, 2010, 1:45:54 PM12/2/10
to EveryGame
I am playing around with a new project, mostly getting the 'physical'
stuff done, moving pieces etc. I came across something though that has
to do with transparency. On the main board it seems to work just fine,
create an image in Photoshop (sorry I am on a Macbook Pro, so not sure
if this would be an issue with Windows) with a transparent background
and you only get the part you actually draw. But put an image with a
transparent background on a tab board and the transparent portions
come out black.
I am wondering if (again?) I am missing something the is right in
front of me, or is there something to this and could we find a way
around it?

Thanks again,

t.

Cymbiotica

Dec 3, 2010, 10:51:33 AM12/3/10
to EveryGame
here is an example:
http://esposito.com/everygame/Sigil_adventureCard_green_01.png

the central portion of the card, where the art might go, is
transparent but the corners are not...any thoughts?

t.

Cymbiotica

Dec 3, 2010, 11:45:28 AM12/3/10
to EveryGame

Eggy EveryGame

Dec 3, 2010, 11:47:50 AM12/3/10
to EveryGame
I can't view your image (is the URL correct?), but transparency should
work on pieces placed on tabs -- I just tried it on the game I'm
working on that has rounded corners for cards.

However in case I misunderstood, transparency doesn't work on the
background image of tabs. The tab background will always be fully
opaque.

If you verify that your image URL is correct, I can take a look at it
later this weekend to see if there's anything problematic there.

-Nathaniel

Cymbiotica

Dec 3, 2010, 2:36:07 PM12/3/10
to EveryGame
I fixed the URL. but I think the issue was with the background, even
though it was erased it still held some sort of information, again I
am not a photoshop guru so I am not sure. I found if I copied the
image out once erasing what I wanted erased, then pasted into a new
image from the clipboard it works alright.

That was minor though, but thanks for taking a look. Now I am trying
to work out the 'teleport piece' idea. Think if I made an invisible
button piece on an intermediary location to have the double_tap of the
button override the piece's, not sure if that is going to work though.

Eggy EveryGame

Dec 7, 2010, 1:59:58 AM12/7/10
to EveryGame
Glad you got your cards working -- it's certainly easy to get some
background information into your file accidentally while merging
layers and such. That's certainly happened to me before while making
cards.

Making a piece teleporter work the way you describe is certainly
possible, but it might not be the easiest way. If you put a <
location_in_action > tag around the < location > tags, then any piece
put into that location will automatically have the action applied. It
uses the same syntax for actions as the taps. There are many examples
of this being used to automatically set the side of pieces (for
instance, flipping the cards in Word Race). However, you could also
use the move_piece action, so that any pieces dropped in the location
are instantly moved elsewhere -- no extra tapping required.

-Nathaniel

Terry Esposito

Dec 7, 2010, 5:34:04 AM12/7/10
to ever...@googlegroups.com
That is actually exactly what I have done. It's a little bit cludgy, because i didn't realise how many places I needed to send one type of card to...but it sort of works. It will be a bit cleaner eventually, once you have the time to work on the tab interactions as mentioned (no prodding or anything just an observation).

Thanks again,

t.