Possible features for card based games?

Rob3d

May 15, 2011, 11:39:48 AM5/15/11
to EveryGame
Recently I have been working on a monopoly deal module and it gave me
some ideas. I already mentioned a set_scale for cards but there are
some other features that would help in porting card based game to
every game.

A "flourish" location type: basically this would work like a stack
only it will automatically offset position and rotation based on the
number of cards in the hand to look like a standard flourish.

now setting up players hand is a bit cumbersome. If you want an
organized looking hand you have to set up cells but then your limited
to the number of cards per hand. You can use a free location but then
the cards are scattered everywhere which can sometimes make them tough
to organize.

Secondly a "tap_and_hold" trigger: this would work exactly how it
sounds. Tap and hold on a game piece to trigger a defined action, then
release to trigger another.

This could be used to trigger the set scale option I mentioned but
what it would be really great for is showing/hiding player hands. Say
you have a hand set up using the flourish location type. You can set
tap_and_hold to flip all the cards over to the front side, then when
you release they flip to there back side. Conceivably you'd be able
to cover your flourish with your palm and it would show your cards,
when pull you hand away they are hidden again.

I don't know how tough it would be to implement this stuff but I just
thought I'd put it out there and see what you guys thought.

Eggy

May 15, 2011, 5:47:43 PM5/15/11
to ever...@googlegroups.com
Something like the "flourish" location should be available in the next release of EveryGame. Similar to having messy stacks for a discard pile (as was posted here a while back), there's also the ability to offset and rotate the pieces in a stack. That would let you see all of the cards in your hand.

This will be implemented as display options for stacks and queues. However, even though you will be able to see all of the cards in your hand, you will still only be able to tap or move the top card. While stacks will show multiple cards, only the top of the stack is exposed for user input.

However, in the future, it seems that it would be useful to let you select any of the cards -- the selectability of a free location with the organization of a stack. We would probably also take this as the opportunity to provide for stacks to be reorganized, by dragging from one part of the flourish to another. That will have to wait for a further off release though.

-Nathaniel

Sent from my iPad

Eggy

May 15, 2011, 5:51:37 PM5/15/11
to ever...@googlegroups.com
Oh, meant to address the tap-and-hold as well. This has been requested before, and is something we're likely to try. One suggestion was to use this to bring up a context-sensitive menu, so that you could define as many different actions per-piece as you wanted, and not be restricted to a number of taps. However, there are other options, like potentially using it to trigger a stack-reorder interface. Or perhaps we just need to make it user-selectable.

So we're still figuring out how to make use to the resource of unused gestures. We also have to verify that such things won't interfere with current behaviors like zooming, panning / tapping while zoom, etc.

-Nathaniel

Sent from my iPad

Rob3d

May 15, 2011, 8:21:26 PM5/15/11
to EveryGame
That all sounds great. I would definitely leave it user customizable,
that way we might find some interesting uses for tap and hold
gestures.