Location based tapping actions?

Robert Corredor

Apr 25, 2011, 1:00:18 AM4/25/11
to EveryGame
just got ege and loving it so far. I have one question about tap
actions.

Right now it seems you can define tap actions for pieces when you
first create them. I was wondering if there was a way to define tap
action based on the piece's current location?

For example; I draw a card and place it in an "item pile" in the "item
pile" a single tap would increment rotation 90 dgrees. If I take that
same card and move it to "potions pile" a single tap would increment
sides between the front and back of the card.

Is this currently possible? And if not would it be hard to implement
on future updates?

Thanks in advance.

Eggy EveryGame

Apr 26, 2011, 12:27:53 PM4/26/11
to ever...@googlegroups.com
Being able to define taps based on the current location would certainly be useful, and I've often desired it when building games myself.  However, right now, it's not possible.  We'd love to put it into a future release, but it won't be soon -- even figuring out just what the xml for it would look like isn't obvious, and the underlying engine changes would be even bigger.

This wouldn't work for all cases, but one alternate option may be to essentially put actions onto the location itself.  This isn't possible right now (though would be a smaller change to add in the future), but can be easily faked.  If you create a location on top of your existing one that takes a difference piece_type, you can add a piece that has a transparent image, and isn't draggable.  This can have actions assigned to it for taps, that will take precedence over the pieces below it.  However, it won't interfere with piece movement or display.

For an example of this, you could look at the block stacks in Castle Capers.  The game file is pretty large, but it includes just about every feature in EveryGame.

-Nathaniel

Adam Jeppson

Apr 26, 2011, 2:25:28 PM4/26/11
to ever...@googlegroups.com
Something that may work for you (as a kludgy solution) would be to setup multiple locations identical to each other in the same physical space with varying location_in_actions that set the sides the way you want.  You could have a tap on an invisible piece on the very top location that moves pieces from one of the stacked locations to another which then activates the location_in_action.

Rob3d

Apr 26, 2011, 2:28:20 PM4/26/11
to EveryGame
Thanks I'll try these methods out.

On Apr 26, 2:25 pm, Adam Jeppson <ajepp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Something that may work for you (as a kludgy solution) would be to setup
> multiple locations identical to each other in the same physical space with
> varying location_in_actions that set the sides the way you want.  You could
> have a tap on an invisible piece on the very top location that moves pieces
> from one of the stacked locations to another which then activates the
> location_in_action.

Eggy

Apr 27, 2011, 10:24:22 PM4/27/11
to ever...@googlegroups.com
Very clever! I'd not thought of using location_in_actions that way before. A bit kludgy as you said, but I like it!

We can look into adding new features to make some of these tasks easier, but I must say, I enjoy the puzzle solving aspects of coming up with a clever solution like this just as much! :0)

-Nathaniel

Sent from my iPad