Issues with my first module, Delve Cards

9 views
Skip to first unread message

Geoff

unread,
May 27, 2011, 3:38:55 PM5/27/11
to EveryGame
Hi everyone,

I created my first module, for Delve Cards, and I think everything in
the XML is correct, but when I load the module into EG, all of the
cards are just scattered on the board, and not in their locations.
Now, I initially created the module without an XML file, and just the
images (the quick start method) and that is what happened. As expected
really. BTW, I only have access to an iPhone. But now I've written the
XML file and re-uploaded it and am getting the same results. I have
even deleted the module from EG and reinstalled it. I have checked the
XML in EG and in Firefox. No syntax errors. I'm completely confused as
to what the problem may be.

Let me know and I can send the XML file if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
-Geoff

Adam Jeppson

unread,
May 27, 2011, 3:40:16 PM5/27/11
to ever...@googlegroups.com
Paste it here:  http://pastie.org/ and send the resulting url.  It is probably the easiest way for us to see.

Rob3d

unread,
May 27, 2011, 3:53:12 PM5/27/11
to ever...@googlegroups.com
Definitely try and post the code to pastie but if I had to guess its one of 3 things:

1. Your cards may not have their initial location set correctly.

2. Your locations may not have a valid type that matches your cards.

3. Or your Init XML may be moving the pieces to the free location that was automatically generated when you initially ran the game.

Pleas post the code in both your game XML and your init XML so we can check it out.

Hope this helps

Michael Pearsall

unread,
May 27, 2011, 4:57:58 PM5/27/11
to ever...@googlegroups.com
I had a similar problem and it was my init file. I deleted it ad everything worked.

-mikep

It's you and me against the world.
When do we attack?

Sent from my iPhone

Geoff Hardy

unread,
Jun 4, 2011, 12:06:51 PM6/4/11
to ever...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys. Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for not replying sooner. Turns out, all it was was that my everygame version was incorrect in the header of my XML. I still had it set to 1.0 when I was using 1.5.

What will happen when EG gets updated again? Was the problem just a mismatch between the version number and the commands being used?

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

Eggy

unread,
Jun 5, 2011, 8:12:38 PM6/5/11
to ever...@googlegroups.com
Hi Geoff,

Hopefully, you shouldn't have any problems.

That field essentially exists to flag what version of EveryGame the module was built for, so that you could be warned if you tried to run a new module on an un-updated copy. We'd initially imagined using it to allow different parsing behavior between versions (just as when the syntax for the "random_side" action was changed) but ultimately, we decided this could cause too many issues.

I'm not sure why that check would have caused any problems actually, but it should be fine in the future. Virtually every module included in EveryGame has an older-than-current version listed, since they list the version in use when were built. They work just fine from one version to the next, so yours should too hopefully.

-Nathaniel

Sent from my iPad

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages