Every game redux playing cards module?

Rob3d

Oct 24, 2011, 8:18:50 PM10/24/11
to ever...@googlegroups.com
Just picked up the new version of eggy and I am really intrigued buy the playing cards module. The way it handles player hands is really awesome. I know it's accomplished using location in and out voodoo but I was wondering if something like this could be integrated into a new location type in future versions of eggy. This kind of location behavior coupled with the show_every offsets for position and rotation could really emulate player hands well. Just thought it might be an interesting feature.

Eggy

Nov 2, 2011, 4:52:44 AM11/2/11
to ever...@googlegroups.com
Hey Rob,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you -- your email came in when I was pretty busy, and it fell off my radar.

It is some fancy voodoo to make those work! I actually didn't think it would be *that* hard to add, but in the end, I think it would have been easier to just integrate it!

Doing just that could be useful. With the recent Apple approval troubles, we haven't quite decided what the best focus for future development could be. We'll at least consider some sort of fancier location like these though.

-Nathaniel

Sent from my iPad

Robert Corredor

Nov 2, 2011, 10:54:04 AM11/2/11
to ever...@googlegroups.com
Awesome that sounds great.  Another thing I wanted to ask was whether or not you have heard of the app "Codify"  Long story short it's an app that lets you code lua applications and games directly on the iPad.

It seems to me the way they get around apple's restriction is by locking game development to the ipad only.  All assets are included in the app and all coding is locked to the device its on.

When I saw this I thought it would be a way to keep Eggy going with its original principal in mind.  Basically it would be a version of Eggy with the edit game option as it once was with bluetooth keyboard support, but the user can only use assets already included in the games you provide.

So maybe an in game viewer that lists all pngs in all directories sorted by game name.  Maybe even the option to take a photo from the camera and use it as an asset.  That leaves the user the opportunity to still create games and submit them to Eggy through the app for possible inclusion in future version.  This would also open up avenues for asset only updates which would just give you new pieces to design a game with.

Of course none of this solves the awesome feature Eggy had before which was user sharing of modules, but that can be circumvented with jailbreaking.

Another app "Hand Basic"  does something similar only using Microsoft BASIC 6502.  It seems apple's objection is to external sharable executable code and not necessarily code written directly on and for a specific device.

Just some thoughts I had on Eggy going forward.  Still loving the app and look forward to future updates.

-Rob