Is EventMachine viable for a turn based game server?

eren çay

Aug 17, 2014, 2:34:51 AM8/17/14
to eventm...@googlegroups.com
I want to develop a turn-based online game for mobile devices. Normally I would choose Java or Node.js for this job but if Ruby is viable with EventMachine for this kind of job, I'd like to develop my project with Ruby. Can I smoothly run my TCP socket server at high concurrency with long sessions?

James Tucker

Aug 17, 2014, 3:40:57 PM8/17/14
to eventm...@googlegroups.com
It's possible, I have some EM processes with multi-year uptimes with constant traffic, but these days I wouldn't build anything new on EM.

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 3:34 AM, eren çay <ogea...@gmail.com> wrote:
I want to develop a turn-based online game for mobile devices. Normally I would choose Java or Node.js for this job but if Ruby is viable with EventMachine for this kind of job, I'd like to develop my project with Ruby. Can I smoothly run my TCP socket server at high concurrency with long sessions?

Guillaume Betous

Aug 17, 2014, 4:05:00 PM8/17/14
to eventm...@googlegroups.com
What are the other options ?
--
Pour la santé de votre ordinateur, préférez les logiciels libres.
Lire son mail : http://www.mozilla-europe.org/fr/products/thunderbird/

Thomas O'Rourke

Aug 17, 2014, 4:15:00 PM8/17/14
to guillaum...@gmail.com, eventm...@googlegroups.com
this might not be the most popular option…

but if you want Ruby and speed, and Java is not foreign… then Torquebox is an option, although it’s a bit on the heavier side.
There is a non-blocking io implementation on Stomp which i’ve found to be reliable and fast.
And since you can bridge to JMS you have a lot of different ways you can create groups, and control message flow which might be useful for a turn based game.

Tom.

James Tucker

Aug 18, 2014, 5:07:17 PM8/18/14
to eventm...@googlegroups.com, guillaum...@gmail.com
Torquebox, Celluloid, concurrent-ruby, some libuv wrapper, etc.

James Tucker

Aug 18, 2014, 5:08:11 PM8/18/14
to eventm...@googlegroups.com, guillaum...@gmail.com
Mostly though, in the rare case I write some Ruby, I just use the
thread API and with Queues between threads. It's rare to need much
more tbh.