webhook delay and 408 request timeout

Sungah Kim

May 5, 2021, 12:50:47 PM5/5/21
to Eventbrite Developers
Hi,
I set webhook on order.update.

Sometimes it came  right away, but sometime it delayed or even not fired.
And most of time it got 408 request timeout and re-Attempts several times, which caused multiply processing on my client side.

I know there are bunch of conversations about Webhook bug, is there any improvement on it?

Natalie Blikslager

May 13, 2021, 10:37:18 PM5/13/21
to Eventbrite Developers
Hello,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing troubles with your webhook. Can you please provide the specific event ID(s) returning a 408 request timeout error for your order.update action so we can look into the webhook logs? The webhook bug that was causing severe latency was resolved in March, thankfully, and we continue to monitor webhook performance!

Best,
Natalie

Natalie Blikslager

May 14, 2021, 12:56:48 PM5/14/21
to Eventbrite Developers
Hello,

I wanted to note here that we also recently implemented a new 3.5 second timeout on webhooks and your webhook will return a 408 error if you attempt to do too much synchronously on your end. It is best practice to return a 200 status quickly and do additional processing async.

I hope this is helpful!

Thanks,
Natalie

Matthew Pfeiffer

Feb 24, 2022, 4:46:57 PM2/24/22
to Eventbrite Developers
Natalie,
We are having a lot of 408s on our web hooks. It is my understanding that a WebHook should continue to attempt to connect at least a few times, before just giving up. Is that accurate? Any idea when those retry attempts should happen? And if they are in fact retried, should the WebHook show as having multiple attempts when I view them in the Eventbrite system ?   https://www.eventbrite.com/account-settings/webhooks/

When I look back at some of the 408s from a few days ago, they all show as 1 attempt.

Matthew Pfeiffer

Feb 24, 2022, 4:51:24 PM2/24/22
to Eventbrite Developers
In case it is helpful, our WebHook is 8229542

Matthew Pfeiffer

Feb 24, 2022, 4:56:41 PM2/24/22
to Eventbrite Developers
Example from 9 days ago, only showing as 1 attempt.

Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 3.55.52 PM.png

Rohan Tan

Feb 25, 2022, 12:40:41 AM2/25/22
to Eventbrite Developers
Hi Natalie,

I was wondering if the webhook timeout was still 3.5 seconds?

As currently I return a 200 in about 2 seconds and it seems to still time out.

Best Regards,

Rohan