Announcing an 'expansion' framework to speed up API responses (potential breaking change might require a new parameter) - To be released May 13th

Mitch Colleran

Apr 21, 2015, 1:06:30 PM4/21/15
to eventbr...@googlegroups.com
Latest Update: We received some feedback from users that they'd like an extended window, so we haven't turned this on globally. If you still need more time to implement the expansion framework, please reach out to a...@eventbrite.com immediately.

For everyone else, we'll be switching off default expansions on June 22nd at 11:00am PST.

---

Hey everyone!

We have a really exciting announcement that we've been waiting to release for a while.

One of the most common requests that we hear from the community is a request to increase in speed on Eventbrite's API's response times. So, we've built a new framework where an endpoint will by default just return the object that you're requesting (rather than the current behavior of returning the requested object, and additional related objects). We'll still allow you to add expansion parameters that will return related objects, but API requests will have to specifically call for the related objects.

For example, if you're calling the Events endpoint for a specific event (eventbriteapi.com/v3/events/{:id}/), we would have previously returned the event object, along with related venue, ticket_classes, and more. You can see an example here: https://www.eventbriteapi.com/v3/events/11260994939/?token=6W6MK2IRTGDVSXQM3MNY

With the new expansion framework, by default, we'll just return the event object unless you call for us to expand the response with additional object. An example of what will become the new default return for this same call can be seen here: https://www.eventbriteapi.com/v3/events/11260994939/?token=6W6MK2IRTGDVSXQM3MNY&expand=none

We've added some more information in our new docs: http://www.eventbrite.com/developer/v3/reference/expansions/

If you're application relies on related objects, then an update will be required -- but it is a very straight forward and simple update. You'll just have to add the "expand" parameter to your calls and request the additional objects.

We'll be implementing this change to our API on May 13th at 12:00pm PST, so please make sure to have your applications updated by then.

This conversation is locked