Upcoming improvements to the Event page that will affect 'custom_header' and 'custom_footer' attributes.

Mitch Colleran

Feb 26, 2015, 1:15:56 AM2/26/15
to eventbr...@googlegroups.com
Greetings developers!

I wanted to give notice as early as possible to our developer community that we've started a complex, but incredibly exciting/important, project that will eventually improve our event pages! Our event pages are one of our most important properties, so we're very excited to bring these improvements to our users.

It's still very early days for us in what will be a long process (several months and quarters), but I wanted to give notice to everyone here first. I will continue to share details as they are finalized and rolled out.

We're hoping to make this a smooth transition across the millions of events that take place on the Eventbrite platform every year, but there will inevitably be some change. The largest impact will be around how we enable the customization of the event page. Nothing has changed in our commitment to making sure that your events are displayed in a way that represents their awesome-ness and your brand -- but we need to figure out a way that doesn't involve allowing infinite permutations of our event page through the injection of custom HTML/CSS into the 'custom_header' and 'custom_footer' fields (customization and representation of your brand will still be available -- but it will be done in a different way, in what will be a better overall outcome/experience all around).

For the massive majority of our API users, this means that nothing will change, but for the small few that use 'custom_header' and 'custom_footer' traits to modify the event page -- we'll be introducing a new method in the coming months/quarters. Of course, this means that we''ll be deprecating this functionality from our API, so this feature won't be added to the new version of the API.

If you're a developer that relies on this functionality, I wanted to give notice as early as possible that this functionality won't be ported over to API V3. But don't panic, I'll be sure to give early updates in the coming weeks around what we're planning for customization/styling of the new event pages. If you're currently reliant on customization of the event pages, and won't be ready to move over to API V3 until the new event pages are rolled out (and the subsequent ability to customize the new event pages is available in API V3), then we will make sure to accommodate you by allowing for you to have access to the legacy API past the deprecation deadline (I'm committed to making sure that we're not pulling the rug out from any developers -- everyone is important here).

I'm erring towards early transparency here, so I don't have a ton of final details to share -- but I promise that as we continue to work on this, I'll come back to share more information.

Feel free to reach out if there are any questions! Cheers!

Hervé Airault

Mar 2, 2015, 7:01:09 AM3/2/15
to eventbr...@googlegroups.com
it's not only the custom_header and footer that doesn't work from V1 to V3.

I cannot update a Venue
I cannot hide a ticket_class so i cannot create an Access code for my ticket
Since my users never have acces to Eventbrite interface it's been difficult to make all this thing via eventbrite website.

We choose Eventbrite because you had one of the most complete API... i'm hope you'll consider to not turn off legacy API until all issue in V3 are resolved

Dana Kock

Mar 2, 2015, 10:45:03 AM3/2/15
to eventbr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hervé,

We are actively working on a fix for the Venue Update issue and hope to have it released shortly. The hidden ticket issue is logged and we'd like to get that out as soon as possible as well. I'm sorry for the inconvenience here as we want to make this a smooth transition for everyone.

We are open to providing extra deprecation time to those who are in need due to lack of parity needed to transition, but hopefully we can get these out soon so that isn't necessary.

Please let us know of any other concerns.

Hervé Airault

Mar 2, 2015, 11:50:23 AM3/2/15
to eventbr...@googlegroups.com
You can make out soon but for us it's too late , it's in 2 month , you'll understand that in IT project 2 month it not smooth for us and you can understand that the situation is very uncomfortable and full of stress :)
I hope we can find a solution about the deadline for the legacy API.

Dana Kock

Mar 5, 2015, 3:02:52 PM3/5/15
to eventbr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hervé ~ Just wanted to let you know that we just released the ability to update User Venues. Hope to get the other issues resolved soon!