APIs Incompatible with Organizations & Permissions on June 1, 2020

Brett Ede

Mar 3, 2020, 7:09:32 PM3/3/20
to Eventbrite Developers
What’s changing
With the introduction of the Organization object, many of Eventbrite’s API endpoints have necessarily changed to indicate the Organization, rather than the User, of an API call.

An Organization is an Eventbrite object representing a business structure (like a financial entity, or taxID) in which Events are owned, created and managed. Organizations are owned by one User and can have multiple Members, and are used to group Events, Venues, Members, Permissions and other entities.

Currently, all Eventbrite Music creators are on Organizations. Access to Organizations for new Eventbrite users started to roll out on January 28th, 2020. Throughout 2020, all users will be migrated to the Organizations and Permissions model. Access to several APIs will no longer be usable on June 1st, 2020, as they are incompatible with Organizations & Permissions.

Recommended actions
Visit our API Changelog and Organizations Guide to review the full list of APIs impacted by these changes and take the necessary steps to update your application.

ska...@envoy.com

Mar 12, 2020, 3:16:11 PM3/12/20
to Eventbrite Developers
Is the /v3/webhooks/ endpoint already deprecated? Getting the 'This user is not able to use legacy user endpoints, please use the organization equivalent.’ error when trying to create webhooks even though it's not yet June 1, 2020.

Thomas Mirmo

Mar 18, 2020, 8:00:24 PM3/18/20
to Eventbrite Developers
Hi skalum,

The /v3/webhooks/ endpoint only works for users that aren't yet on Organizations and Permissions.

As Brett mentioned above, all Eventbrite Music creators are on Organizations and access to Organizations for new Eventbrite users started to roll out on January 28th, 2020.

This means that you're likely getting this error for a new user or a Music user.

Let us know if you have any follow up questions.

Best,

Thomas

Anshul Tarika

Jun 5, 2020, 4:14:38 AM6/5/20
to Eventbrite Developers
Hi Thomas,

Could you please help me out in the below issue . I am getting below error while fetching EVENT.   --> https://www.eventbriteapi.com/v3/events/EVENTID/
{
    "status_code"403,
    "error_description""You do not have permission to access the resource you requested.",
    "error""NOT_AUTHORIZED"
}

mic...@networkapp.eu

Jun 5, 2020, 11:36:11 AM6/5/20
to Eventbrite Developers
I'm not sure how this was communicated, because today is the first email I ever received this change being effective.  Anyone actually received proper notice about this?

Houston Krohman

Jun 5, 2020, 12:01:00 PM6/5/20
to Eventbrite Developers
Hi Anshul, are you using a valid bearer token with your request? It can be appended to the URL as a query parameter (https://www.eventbriteapi.com/v3/events/EVENTID/?token=XXXXX), or as an Authorization Header.

amzall...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2020, 11:52:45 PM6/14/20
to Eventbrite Developers
Just came as a surprise for me too :(

michael...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2020, 3:13:45 PM7/23/20
to Eventbrite Developers
Hi Support,

I started receiving the following 404 on requests to the users/me/owned_events Endpoint https://www.eventbriteapi.com/v3/users/me/events/?token=MYTOKEN even though I can successfully retrieve my profile from users/me/ Endpoint. Has this been deprecated or affected? I've put the 404 message below.

Thank you,

{
"status_code": 404,
"error_description": "The user_id you requested does not exist.",
"error": "NOT_FOUND"
}

Houston Krohman

Jul 23, 2020, 3:24:34 PM7/23/20
to Eventbrite Developers
Hi Michael,

Yes that endpoint is past it's end of life as of June 1st. If you didn't receive an email about this, make sure to update the contact information associated with your API key.

Your will need to change to retrieve your owned events in this way now:
1. Call GET /v3/users/me/organizations/
2. Iterate through the returned list of organization_id's calling /v3/organizations/:id/events/

Additional information on Organizations can be found here: https://www.eventbrite.com/platform/docs/organizations, and you can keep an eye on our changelog for future updates and deprecations: https://www.eventbrite.com/platform/docs/changelog

michael...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2020, 3:41:55 PM7/23/20
to Eventbrite Developers
Hi Houston,

Thank you for the quick reply! That did the trick, I am now able to query for events again.

I'll keep an eye on the changelog. The documentation here still referencing the old calls is what threw me off https://www.eventbrite.com/platform/docs/api-explorer

Thanks again!

Houston Krohman

Jul 23, 2020, 3:48:20 PM7/23/20
to Eventbrite Developers
Hey Michael,

Glad to hear you were able to make the change easily.

Thanks for flagging that in our docs, will make sure that's updated asap!

kmarte...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2020, 12:02:15 PM7/30/20
to Eventbrite Developers
I am not a developer and received the notice of the change. I have read through the documentation and was a little perturbed that there is no longer API support through Eventbrite. Not sure exactly how this affects what we do. We have an API setup with a server we host. Should we just create events and run the sync to see if we receive errors? Are a more simplistic explanations on how and what to fix?

Many thanks!

Houston Krohman

Jul 30, 2020, 3:13:58 PM7/30/20
to Eventbrite Developers
Hi,

If you received the email then your API key has called one of the dis-continued endpoints in the past several months and it's likely that minor changes need to be made. The API will return a 400 or 404 error so you can check your logs to see if they contain those errors.

The most common change that needs to be made is this endpoint:
/v3/users/me/owned_events/

You now need to call:
/v3/users/me/organizations/ which returns a list of organizations the user belongs to. Then using the organization_id from each organization, call:
/v3/organizations/:organization_id/events/

There are other endpoints that may need to be changes as well, usually requiring a single change. You can find the list of old endpoints and their replacements here: https://www.eventbrite.com/platform/docs/changelog

Cheers