Trying to configure Eventbrite API in Azure Data Factory

Chantal Guevara

Jun 25, 2021, 1:50:20 PM6/25/21
to Eventbrite Developers
Hello,

I'm trying to pull data (venues, events, attendees, orders) from our Eventbrite account into our Azure-based data warehouse. A large part of the problem is Eventbrite's terminology, that the names assigned to keys and tokens (Eventbrite - Account Settings) do not match those of the values required to pull our data.

Also, if anyone has successfully done this - created an Eventbrite -> SQL Server pipeline - I would be really really grateful for as much help as you can share.

As Eventbrite doesn't offer the standard authorisation values required by a linked service, I'm having to try doing this via a POST call in a web activity.

Microsoft does very helpfully provide a "Copy from REST or HTTP using OAuth" template (referred to here: Copy data from and to a REST endpoint by using Azure Data Factory - Azure Data Factory | Microsoft Docs), but it requires a data lake destination, and our Azure account does not support data lakes, so that's not an option to use.

I'm instead trying this one (Azure Data Factory and REST APIs – Dealing with oauth2 authentication – Alex Volok Consultancy), which uses this string (grant_type=refresh_token&client_id={client_id}&client_secret={client_secret}&refresh_token={refresh_token}), but because of the semantics glitch with Eventbrite's API, it's failed every combination of values I've tried so far; Data Factory doesn't provide explanations for the failures.

The only apparently-matching value is the client secret, so if anyone has an Eventbrite - Non-Eventbrite dictionary, I really need to know what on earth the following values are, given that EB has only provided us with API key, Client secret, Private token and Public token.

1. refresh_token
2. client_id
3. refresh_token
4. access_token

If there's anything else which will be needed later in the pipeline, I'd be hugely grateful.

nata...@eventbrite.com

Jul 14, 2021, 12:27:44 PM7/14/21
to Eventbrite Developers
Hi Chantal!

I recommend checking out our API Reference, specifically, the Authentication section here
  • client_id = API Key
  • access_token = Private token
We do not provide refresh tokens, I'm sorry. You shouldn't have to worry about refreshing your token unless it's reset or a security protocol, in which case, you can create a new API key and copy the new private token, then delete the former API key if you no longer need it.

I hope this is helpful!

Best,
Natalie