Colors Disappeared with latest TK/TCL update

stef

Nov 19, 2018, 4:20:45 AM11/19/18
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The latest TK/TCL update tcl-8.6.9 and tk-8.6.9 have broken colors in ETM, I no longer get "red" for overdue tasks, etc. This is with a default colors.cfg (no changes whatsoever.)

I tried "rebuilding" etm but no changes.

Can you please look into this issue? Do you need a ticket on GH?

PS How are you doing on the GUI (Qt) project?

Daniel Graham

Nov 19, 2018, 7:31:33 AM11/19/18
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
What version of python? Platform?

-- Dan

stef

Nov 20, 2018, 8:40:49 AM11/20/18
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
Python 3.7.1
Linux x86_64
tcl/tk tcl 8.6.8

python-dateutil 2.7.5
python-yaml 3.13

Subject: Re: [eventandtaskmanager] Colors Disappeared with latest TK/TCL update
To: eventandt...@googlegroups.com
Date: Monday, November 19, 2018, 12:31 PM

Daniel Graham

Nov 20, 2018, 8:52:17 AM11/20/18
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
I have tcl/tk 8.6.8 with python 3.7.1 and no color issues. Since you mentioned tcl/tk 8.6.9 originally, I suppose the change from 8.6.8 to 8.6.9 is what caused the color problem. How did you install 8.6.9?

-- Dan

stef

Nov 21, 2018, 6:11:15 AM11/21/18
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
Dan,
You're correct because as soon as I downgrade to tk/tcl 8.6.8, colors work again.
Installed via my distro packaging; which is pretty standard/plain vanilla.
Might be a problem for other users as well once their distro switches to new version 8.6.9....

To: eventandt...@googlegroups.com
Date: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 1:52 PM

Daniel Graham

Nov 21, 2018, 7:53:43 AM11/21/18
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
Well, I can’t duplicate it on my mac and it sounds like a bug in tcl/tk anyway. Maybe it will be fixed in 8.6.10.

-- Dan

stef

Nov 21, 2018, 6:50:38 PM11/21/18
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
But you have 8.6.8 so it may very well happen as well on your MAC once you upgrade to 8.6.9.
And these things are usually some significant changes in the design, etc.; more often then a bug....

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens when you are able to upgrade to 8.6.9.....

To: eventandt...@googlegroups.com
Date: Wednesday, November 21, 2018, 12:53 PM

Dan

Nov 21, 2018, 9:29:52 PM11/21/18
to Event and Task Manager
What I meant to say is that if a change in tcl/tk from 3.6.8 to 3.6.9 breaks something in etm which itself hasn't changed, then I suspect that it is a bug in that version of tcl/tk which will probably be fixed before long. It is also probable that it is something that I cannot fix.

Sebastian

Jul 3, 2019, 3:09:04 AM7/3/19
to Event and Task Manager
Hello

I have just moved to Win10, installed Python 3.7.3 and etmtk (via 'pip install emttk') and ... no colors in item list (I can change e.g. font color in all etm pop-up windows with base: foreground in colors.cfg file).
I do not know how to check Tk version that comes with Python 3.7.3 (I can see only it is 8.6).
Strange is that the problem applies only to item list. Any ideas?

----
Sebastian

Daniel Graham

Jul 3, 2019, 10:10:57 AM7/3/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
On my mac, I have python 3.7.2 with TkTcl 8.6.8. The version that etm is using should be displayed in the system info (F2). I have no idea about the source of the problem and, alas, no access to Win10 to check it.

You should have an “item:” section in colors.cfg. Here is mine:

# named 'colors.cfg' and placed in the same directory as your
# 'etm.cfg', this file will determine colors for the etm GUI.
base:
  foreground: 'black' # default font color
  highlight: '#B2B2AF' # default highlight color
  background: '#FEFEFC' # default background color

item: # font colors for items in tree views
  ac: 'darkorchid' # action
  av: 'RoyalBlue3' # scheduled, available task
  by: 'DarkGoldenRod3' # begin by
  cs: 'RoyalBlue3' # scheduled job
  cu: 'gray65' # scheduled job with unfinished prereqs
  dl: 'gray70' # hidden (folder view)
  ds: 'darkslategray' # scheduled, delegated task
  du: 'darkslategray' # unscheduled, delegated task
  ev: 'springgreen4' # event
  fn: 'gray70' # finished task
  ib: 'coral2' # inbox
  ns: 'saddlebrown' # note
  nu: 'saddlebrown' # unscheduled noted
  oc: 'peachpuff4' # occasion
  pc: 'firebrick1' # pastdue job
  pu: 'firebrick1' # pastdue job with unfinished prereqs
  pd: 'firebrick1' # pastdue, delegated task
  pt: 'firebrick1' # pastdue task
  rm: 'seagreen' # reminder
  so: 'SteelBlue3' # someday
  un: 'RoyalBlue3' # unscheduled task (next)

calendar:
  date: 'RoyalBlue3' # week/month calendar dates
  grid: 'gray85' # week/month calendar grid lines
  busybar: 'RoyalBlue3' # week/month busy bars
  current: '#DCEAFC' # current date calendar background
  active: '#FCFCD9' # active/selected date background
  occasion: 'gray92' # occasion background
  conflict: '#FF3300' # conflict flag
  year_past: 'springgreen4' # calendar, past years font color
  year_current: 'black' # calendar, current year font color
  year_future: 'RoyalBlue3' # calendar, future years font color

-- Dan

Sebastian Cyprych

Jul 4, 2019, 4:43:51 AM7/4/19
to 'stef' via Event and Task Manager
Hello

> On my mac, I have python 3.7.2 with TkTcl 8.6.8.
> The version that etm is using should be displayed in the system info (F2).
Ah, so easy :) I have Python 3.7.3 with TkTcl 8.6.9.

> You should have an “item:” section in colors.cfg.
I have one, too. I've tried to change to "easy" colors like "red" and to hexadecimal. But no change.
In Week an Month views, the "squares" in upper part have colors, the list of items does not.

My life went white and black :(

----
Sebastian

Sebastian

Jul 8, 2019, 7:49:53 AM7/8/19
to Event and Task Manager
Hello

After reverting back to Python 2.7.16 (with Tk/Tcl 8.5.15), everything is back to normal.
Unfortunatelly, it seems there is no way to downgrade Tk/Tcl on Python.

----
Sebastian

Daniel Graham

Jul 9, 2019, 10:02:46 AM7/9/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
Strange, the Python and Tk/Tcl upgrade had no effect on my mac. Maybe it’s a Windows feature. ;-)

-- Dan