PyPi release

Dan

Mar 12, 2019, 8:11:09 PM3/12/19
to Event and Task Manager
The new version is now available as an alpha release on PyPi: etm-dgraham. The name follows the project-author format suggested by PyPi. Details about installation using a virtual environment and pip are available from that site as well as github - please read them.

Currently there is no provision for importing your existing data into the new version. This makes it possible for you to play with the new version without affecting your current installation in any way. A method for importing will be provided when the new version reaches production-stable status.

lawquest

Mar 13, 2019, 11:58:49 PM3/13/19
to Event and Task Manager
I tried it and got:

root@johwhi:/home/johwhi/etm-partial/2019/new2019etm# pip install etm_dgraham-4.0.0a46-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Processing ./etm_dgraham-4.0.0a46-py2.py3-none-any.whl
etm-dgraham requires Python '>=3.6.0' but the running Python is 2.7.13

Python 3.5 is installed on my debian stretch system  but it apparently is not active.  Python 3.6 is not available in debian stretch backports, but should be on the new debian stable, coming out in, I am told, a couple of months.

If I could figure out how to make python 3.5 active on my system, I would try and see if the new etm will run on it.

Thanks for all you do with etm.

john

Dan

Mar 14, 2019, 9:09:10 AM3/14/19
to Event and Task Manager
What happens if you enter

     $ python3

in a terminal? If it starts a python interpreter you're all set. You can use python3 to create the virtual environment and 3.5 will be active in that environment without being active system wide. Please read the installation instructions about creating the virtual environment.

lawquest

Mar 14, 2019, 11:05:01 AM3/14/19
to Event and Task Manager
Thanks,

I get:

johwhi@johwhi:~$ python3
Python 3.5.3 (default, Sep 27 2018, 17:25:39)
[GCC 6.3.0 20170516] on linux

I plan to read up on virtual environments and try it this weekend.

John

Dan

Mar 17, 2019, 1:58:25 PM3/17/19
to Event and Task Manager
The new version of etm uses formatted string literals which were introduced in python 3.6 so 3.5 won't work. I've read good things about pyenv which may be an option for making different versions of python available on a per-user basis: pyenv.

-Dan

lawquest

Mar 17, 2019, 8:50:44 PM3/17/19
to Event and Task Manager
Dan,

Before noticing your videos, I played around with the new etm today.  Loaded it in virtualbox on debian buster.  It runs a little bit, if I type "etm" at the command line. On first run it showed ETM in office director, but no longer shows it there. I had a bit of trouble with pip until I learned that I needed both python pip and python3 pip,

Here is what is on my virtualbox:

python: 3.7+
dateutil: 2.8.0
pendulum: 2.0.4
prompt-toolkit: 2.0.9
tinydb: 3.13.0
jinja2:  2.1.0
ruamel.yaml: 0.15.89
platform: linux-4.19.0-2-AMD64-X86_64-with-glibc2.28

John

lawquest

Mar 17, 2019, 9:52:13 PM3/17/19
to Event and Task Manager
PS.  I hope we don't lose the date and time calculator.  I use that often.

Dan

Mar 18, 2019, 12:38:19 PM3/18/19
to Event and Task Manager
Funny you should mention the datetime calculator. I just implemented it and added a video about it. See the links in the welcome message.

Arnen

Apr 30, 2019, 7:10:31 PM4/30/19
to Event and Task Manager

On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 11:11:09 UTC+11, Dan wrote:
The new version is now available as an alpha release on PyPi: etm-dgraham. The name follows the project-author format suggested by PyPi. Details about installation using a virtual environment and pip are available from that site as well as github - please read them.13.6

Quick comment

The install script requires /Library/Deveoper Tools/bin/xcrun and won't allow /usr/bin/xcrun.

Installed no hassles 10.13.6

Trying to make my around it :-)

Appreciate the work

Arnen

May 8, 2019, 4:23:11 PM5/8/19
to Event and Task Manager
Wondering what you are looking at for regarding syncing with mobiles etc.

In the past I have used radicale to sync etm but radicale has moved away from a single ics file.

Daniel Graham

May 9, 2019, 11:34:37 AM5/9/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
Exporting to ics and importing from ics is not difficult and importing is already implemented. Back and forth syncing using ics/vcalendar file(s) is another matter because the vcalendar format does not support all of the fields used by etm and vice versa - e.g.,  the index field used by etm is not supported by the vcalendar standard. Index entries  would thus be lost when exporting to an ics file. Similarly, etm supports tasks with job components but vcalendar does not. Syncing thus poses many problems.

For my own purposes, being able see my agenda on my mobile phone is more important than being able to edit  or create reminders - I can always add a note in the Notes app to remind me to modify/create the reminder when I have access to my laptop again. To see my agenda, I set the  keep_current option to “true". Here is the relevant section of the configuration file with the default setting for “keep_current":

# keep_current: true or false. If true, the agenda for the
# current and following week will be written to "current.txt"
# in the etm home directory and updated when necessary. You
# could, for example, create a link to this file in a pCloud or
# DropBox folder and have access to your current schecule on
# your mobile device.
keep_current: false

and then include “current.txt” in my pcloud folder. Since “current.txt” is automatically updated on a daily basis and whenever any reminders are created or changed, it is always current and I always have the agenda for the current and following week on my phone. Not perfect but it works pretty well for me.

-- Dan