New GUI

stef

Jul 29, 2019, 5:54:59 PM7/29/19
to Event and Task Manager
Hi Dan,

How are you doing on the project of building a new GUI (QT?( for Etm?

Etm could do with a non tcl/tk GUI which would give it a more up to date look/feel....

If there is anything available to test, please let me know.

Daniel Graham

Jul 29, 2019, 6:46:10 PM7/29/19
to Event and Task Manager
Hi Stef,

I imagine that you know that the new version, etm-dgraham on PyPi, has a GUI based upon the python prompt-toolkit and runs in a terminal window - not QT but still pretty nice I think. My emphasis in developing this version has been on functionality rather than form. There are, of course, many more up to date calendar apps. Fantastical is an example and one of my favorites and I would be using it myself but for the fact that it doesn’t have some of the functionality that I most want.

I’ve spent much of the last two years working on the new version and am pleased with the outcome since it satisfies my needs almost perfectly. I’m not sure how many users I have for the new version, but I’ve gotten so little feedback that I suspect it’s not many. I imagine that a port to QT would take another couple of years and since I doubt the result would compete for look and feel with apps like Fantastical that are supported by teams of programmers and designers, I doubt I would gain many new users. All things considered, my motivation to take this on is currently not strong.

-- Dan

stef

Jul 30, 2019, 8:29:44 AM7/30/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I had no idea about etm-dgraham on PyPi.
I will take a look, thanks.
And thanks for the candid feedback.

stef

Jul 30, 2019, 8:58:52 AM7/30/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
couple of other points I forgot: Fantastical is MacOS only--I'm on Linux....
For your etm-graham on PyPi, wouod you recommend using the source files and the setup.py or the wheel?
I'm not that familiar with the wheel way....

Daniel Graham

Jul 30, 2019, 12:47:12 PM7/30/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
In the welcome message for this forum there is a link to a video about the recommended installation method - basically using pip in a virtual environment.

-- Dan

stef

Jul 31, 2019, 4:31:14 AM7/31/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com