tickers without players

Quilnux

Feb 13, 2021, 1:57:42 AM2/13/21
to Evennia
If there are no accounts logged in, does the server pause processing or will the world continue to run? Reason I ask is because I have a few NPC's on tickers that walk around. They tend to "do things" to other objects. It would be helpful to know if they will continue doing what they do while there are no accounts connected.

Zude Onim

Feb 13, 2021, 2:01:37 AM2/13/21
to eve...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it all keeps moving along.
Just like when we die ... the world will continue ...
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/evennia/a198a807-45ef-469e-b9bd-4e76c6c6c7a8n%40googlegroups.com.

Quilnux

Feb 13, 2021, 9:42:25 AM2/13/21
to Evennia
Very cool.. Too bad modern games don't do this. I like the idea of NPC's continuing in the world. Long term plan, once I get the basic world built is for NPC's to build things themselves based on needs, wants and requirements. So it's important the world continues moving onward after players log out. They come back later and bam! a new building to explore.

j3b

Feb 13, 2021, 10:29:15 PM2/13/21
to Evennia
What could possibly go wrong?

Quilnux

Feb 14, 2021, 12:49:57 AM2/14/21
to Evennia
I've already scripted limits on it. Basically there is a basic list of "needs" from the NPC. If the NPC has access to it, then it won't do anything. If not, then it will build it (dig) within a set area. It's running a predefined script anyways, so it can't go too far. It also can only have one of each need so it won't build more then that. If another NPC goes to "war" against the other NPC and attacks the house room for example, and the room gets it's HP to zero, the first NPC will have a new set of needs such as go get repair materials and repair the house.

I haven't gotten that far in just yet. Still working on getting it to build rooms for it's needs but that's the basic idea. I'm running it on a test version of my world so if it gets screwed up somehow, I can just steal a copy from the live build.