Is there a way to Sticky info?

Quilnux

Feb 14, 2021, 12:44:34 AM2/14/21
to Evennia
Some muds do things like sticky HP and MP or something else to the buttom of the screen just above where most mud clients allow you to type. I can't find anything about how this would work for Evennia in the documentation. I'm sure I'm just searching for the wrong keywords. Can someone point me in the right direction with a link?

Zude Onim

Feb 14, 2021, 1:09:57 AM2/14/21
to eve...@googlegroups.com
It's called a prompt.

Some MUDs have the prompt display after every command is input by a player,
or only during combat, or perhaps on a timer.

I believe there is info in the evennia tutorial/docs about creating a prompt.

I've made prompts that appear on a timer, using a script.
I've also created commands to allow players to toggle their prompt
on/off, or change the frequency of it displaying.

Good luck !
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/evennia/bcf0c4f7-e9ff-417b-b218-d9402000c5dan%40googlegroups.com.

Quilnux

Feb 14, 2021, 1:11:26 AM2/14/21
to Evennia
Prompt! Never would have thought to call it that.. Nice! I found it. Thanks!

David S

Feb 14, 2021, 3:09:41 AM2/14/21
to eve...@googlegroups.com

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021, 11:44 PM Quilnux <phi...@frabott.net> wrote:
Some muds do things like sticky HP and MP or something else to the buttom of the screen just above where most mud clients allow you to type. I can't find anything about how this would work for Evennia in the documentation. I'm sure I'm just searching for the wrong keywords. Can someone point me in the right direction with a link?

Zude Onim

Feb 14, 2021, 3:23:39 AM2/14/21
to eve...@googlegroups.com
That's what he meant, yes.
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/evennia/bcf0c4f7-e9ff-417b-b218-d9402000c5dan%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/evennia/CAA39E9%3DHHhBbNeWiA7N5j7W1j8TSGCRpz4T2qakAix6WBKn9kg%40mail.gmail.com.

David S

Feb 14, 2021, 4:10:14 AM2/14/21
to eve...@googlegroups.com
Email lag, apologies. Sent that email.eoigjly half an hour before I saw his reply. Was meant for you.

Quilnux

Feb 14, 2021, 10:28:08 AM2/14/21
to Evennia
I must be doing it wrong. I did a quick test last night with @py self.msg(prompt="Hello World") on DM and it didn't work. If I use the webclient it works but none of the mud clients I've tried it with seem to do it. Mudlet, WinTin++, etc. These don't have any problems doing it with SMAUG or ROM so I must be doing something wrong here. I'll try again with a script or CmdSet and see if it works that way this afternoon.

Quilnux

Feb 14, 2021, 11:33:37 PM2/14/21
to Evennia
So I checked doing this from a cmd a normal player account and it doesn't seem to work at all with any mud clients, new or old that support GCMP. Only when using the Evennia webclient does it work. Thoughts?

Zude Onim

Feb 14, 2021, 11:47:29 PM2/14/21
to eve...@googlegroups.com
Fuck it !

Just create your own brand-new part-of-a-script that returns prompt
info to each character on a tick.

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/evennia/a60e9000-5e2d-4331-a8fa-4ee6e019fe2en%40googlegroups.com.

Quilnux

Feb 14, 2021, 11:50:24 PM2/14/21
to Evennia
Yeah, i had a feeling that was probably the answer. Thanks

Griatch Art

Feb 15, 2021, 3:12:56 AM2/15/21
to Evennia
A telnet prompt is nothing more than a text-send without a GA to follow. The prompt works just fine, but you need to set up the client to properly find and handle it. For example, in tintin++ you need to tell tintin to react to the prompt properly -

On the webclient, of course, we can explicitly handle the prompt and place it directly.
.
Griatch

Quilnux

Feb 15, 2021, 3:40:28 AM2/15/21
to Evennia
I figured out my problem with this. As it turns out, the command I was sending was an older version from back in the day. Didn't realize I needed to format in JSON. I actually figured this out from reading a bug report. I keep trying to bring my old MUD knowledge into Evennia and it's just causing me pain and suffering...