Eve & livecoding

Do Uble

Sep 1, 2018, 11:49:03 PM9/1/18
to Eve talk
Hi guys!

I'm old school live coder. Here is my own projects:

1. Animation CPU - pics

2. LiveComment - javascript npm

3. Animation CPU IDE & OS - ACPUL code

Please check it and reply if something is needed (info, requests, etc). I have some things about EVE future. Be cool, d08ble.

magicmo...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2018, 3:15:33 AM9/5/18
to Eve talk
you appear to have invented your own language, and your own IDE, however, you don't seem to have documented your work.
In the classic book "Mythical Man Month" by the great author Prof. Fred Brooks, he talks about how the effort to move from a working program to a documented system is like 3X, so i encourage you in your efforts to create something new to always do some documentation as you go along so it doesn't become such a big burden down the road. If you leave all the documentation work until they end you might just not do it, and then your work will have little value outside of your own output.

I also recommend you start with a simple progression of apps as mentioned in my blog where you go from clock, wristwatch, snake, tictactoe, chess, etc. so that you have a nice ascending scale of programs that go from 150 words to 1500 words, which is a nice size range. As Jonathan Blow said a while back, the proof  of a new tool comes from using it in a gradually ascending scale of products.

William Taysom

Sep 5, 2018, 8:15:55 PM9/5/18
to Eve talk
The work of explaining can go a long way toward sorting out idea.  I'm reminded (don't have the quote at hand) that the process writing The Java Programming Language lead to a significant simplification to how method overriding interacted with primitive types.
Message has been deleted

Do Uble

Sep 25, 2018, 2:17:51 PM9/25/18
to Eve talk
Sure, I collect all materials over past years for refactor it and show in right form.

Do Uble

Sep 25, 2018, 2:26:16 PM9/25/18
to Eve talk
It's true. I can't show too much past cycle. Space ship can't arrive to Mars in 6 days by multiple things. New IDE programming prinicipies can't be explained easy. I save everything and building new structure for @everyone. I'm looking for the team.

(sorry for the delay, errors, etc. i was very busy by my past commercial work)

Do Uble

Sep 25, 2018, 2:32:05 PM9/25/18
to Eve talk
I just have vision like the good people comment:

"My idol is Bret Victor. I also like Alan Kay, Paul Graham, Douglas Engelbert, Tim Berners Lee, Ted Nelson, Chris Granger, vitalik Buterin, Paul Allen, etc. I'm fascinated with designing better operating systems, better languages, better software paradigms. I find that software development is too difficult, too error prone, not accessible enough. I thing most software has mediocre UX. I want to fix that. Making software development available to anyone with a smartphone is key."

magicmo...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2018, 4:59:50 AM10/27/18
to Eve talk
Although it is intriguing to consider the challenge of making an IDE that works on cellphones, having worked on so many different projects for so many hardware platforms, it is generally true that the larger the screen, the easier the task of making information clear and convenient to operate. When i was making iphone apps for the original iphone, the resolution was a paltry 320 x 480 pixels. that is Nintendo famicon resolution, extremely tough to make things fit, and when you consider the size of a finger, it is even worse than the original PC as at least there was a precision pointing device called a mouse, and the iphone has a very blunt instrument. So although the Galaxy S pen could be used in conjunction with someone with good eyesight, i think it a complete waste of time to try and shoehorn a user interface for programming into a cellphone environment. We are already seeing docking cellphones which connect up to large monitors, and then the cellphone will have replaced the laptop and the desktop...so really you are back to the 21-32" monitor range for most people, and in that environment you can indeed make a contribution. The amount of information you need while debugging is more than the screen you are trying to draw, and it is quite common for people to use 2nd monitors for software development. I think you are just setting to unrealistic a goal by trying to enable software development on a cellphone. It is far too cramped an environment to do a good job. Sure there are so-called photo editing programs on the iphone, but nobody is going to drop photoshop any time soon for that environment. Remember the people on TV who paint on the head of a pin? Yes it can be done, but it is incredibly difficult and will never be popular. I hate to see anyone waste their time on projects that are DOA.  I myself am finding it hard to fit a good development environment on the iMac which has 5000 pixels across!

Do Uble

Nov 2, 2018, 11:29:42 PM11/2/18
to Eve talk
Sure, but I try to explain:

You're mostly right, but lastest Apple 30 Oct show something different. Please check it. Photoshop inside tablet is true in Special Apple$1T company event!

It's true, my first full-access mobile device was Palm 240x240 with inifintly minimal keyboard. I'm looking for something vim and ssh, but it was no compatible with 320x240 Palm apps. It works poor, but i tried more.

My next device is first iPhone 2007 iOS 2. I got it, but can't programming myself.

My next device is iPad2. No low cost and performance Android still is here. Apple device wonderful, it works and has iOS 6!!! I don't halt, crash and browser can open a page, amazing. It was 2012.

Why I wrote that? I'm really interesting mobile device development from the school and Appple and more still support that direction. But software is problem. Software big things, that can't be solve quickly and solution is not really cool. For example, JavaScript requires unlimited memory, that's not good.

So, I'm looking and made a solution, that made a lot of things. EVE has very similar direction and i'm watch for updates while made my solution. Here was only several waves true live coding and direct and inderect MVP, but everything is wrong. I hope my solution helps everywhere, because it was made by dev for dev.

Very thanks!

Liam Proven

Nov 5, 2018, 6:34:56 AM11/5/18
to eve-...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 at 04:29, Do Uble <d08...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's true, my first full-access mobile device was Palm 240x240 with inifintly minimal keyboard. I'm looking for something vim and ssh, but it was no compatible with 320x240 Palm apps. It works poor, but i tried more.

IMHO you picked the wrong device.

I used a Psion Organizer ][ LZ:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psion_Organiser#Organiser_II

Then a Psion 3, then a 3A:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psion_Series_3

Then a Psion 5 then 5MX:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psion_Series_5

These all had their own OPL programming language, like a structured BASIC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Programming_Language

I wrote my own apps, for the devices, on the devices.

A FOSS clone of OPL is something that a lot of people would enjoy and
find useful today, I think.

These days I have a Gemini:

https://store.planetcom.co.uk/products/gemini-pda-1

These are far more practical devices than either Palm were, or iOS
are, today, because they're intended to be stand-alone, independent
computers, not tethered to a "main" PC.

Email: lpr...@cix.co.uk - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lpr...@gmail.com