Re: [Eve] Digest for eve-talk@googlegroups.com - 6 updates in 1 topic

mike

Dec 20, 2017, 4:53:13 PM12/20/17
to eve-...@googlegroups.com
About Eve doing an ICO.

It is not "necessarily" illegal in the US, but it is tricky. Here is a good overview of the legal issues: https://coincenter.org/entry/could-your-decentralized-token-project-run-afoul-of-securities-laws   Conclusion:
  •  "...if you build a cryptocurrency or decentralized token the right way then it will not be a good fit for the US test for an investment contract, and therefore should not be classified as a security for the purposes of regulation. Build it right and it's not going to be a security. "
On the other hand, here are some reasons NOT to do an ICO. https://hackernoon.com/why-were-not-doing-an-initial-coin-offering-ico-5a6d6dfedca1

Reading the tea-leaves my guess is the Eve team is in discussions with some entity that will provide financial (and possible other) resources sufficient for them to achieve their goals.

Undoubtedly a tempting offer is being crafted.  I hope they choose wisely.  Interesting times.

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 4:29 PM <eve-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Chuck Untulis <chuck....@gmail.com>: Dec 19 01:40PM -0800

What are the fatal flaws?

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 3:14:36 AM UTC-8, Zafar Ansari wrote:
Zafar Ansari <zafaa...@gmail.com>: Dec 19 11:46PM -0800

Eve was an over ambitious project. A full stack simple to use language with
builtin distributed and relational database is what is required.

On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 9:51:03 PM UTC+5, Chris Granger wrote:
Pascal Bergmann <pub...@corepulse.de>: Dec 20 12:22AM -0800

@Chris: thanks for your statement.

To ride the wave you could do an Evecoin ICO where each token is used to process transactions in Eves distributed database ;) Indigogo just started offering ICOs; they must be searching for projects.

Anyway, Eve has been an impressive ride so far. Elon Musk said this year that we can't take for granted that technology moves on forward, e.g. the Romans built aqueducts but when that empire fell, that knowledge ceased to exist with it. It's people who are visionary, determined, brilliant strategists and executors - all in one - who're developing the future of technology. People like Elon Musk. People like you.
Zubair Quraishi <zub...@gmail.com>: Dec 20 05:13AM -0800

Wouldn't it be better to use an EVECoin ICO just to raise money, why would
it have to be related to transactions? (I don't know the answer, but I
think that this is an interesting direction)

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 9:22:47 AM UTC+1, Pascal Bergmann wrote:
Chris Granger <ibd...@gmail.com>: Dec 20 05:43PM

Unfortunately ICOs aren’t really legal in the US without going through the
IPO song and dance, which requires a ton of money.
Zubair Quraishi <zub...@gmail.com>: Dec 20 11:30AM -0800

Good point. Here in Europe we have simpler methods of crowdfunding like fundedbyme.com, but I think that would be illegal for a US based company too