Economic re-set

ami...@virginiavillageproductions.com

Oct 11, 2020, 11:23:55 PM10/11/20
to EVAT

Hi, Economic Vitality Action Team,

During the past few months, we’ve spent some time discussing the opportunity provided by the pandemic to do a re-set of the economy. Here’s some food for thought: https://www.sustainable-markets.org/.

I found this organization after following up on an editorial that was in the NY Times today by three members of the Rockefeller family, calling on banks to stop financing fossil fuels: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/11/opinion/banks-climate-change-rockefeller.html.

Do you see any take-aways from either of these resources that we can apply locally?

Thanks,

Annette

Annette Mills, Facilitator/Director

Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

www.sustainablecorvallis.org

541-230-1237

image001.jpg
image003.jpg

Kirk Rensmeyer

Oct 14, 2020, 10:20:32 PM10/14/20
to Amills, EVAT
Hi Annette,
    Regarding Sustainable-Markets.org, at least some of their 10 point plan could be scaled down and used locally. The #1 item is Default-maintaining and increasing sustainable practices.
2. Pathways-they are looking for pathways to net zero carbon emissions, as are we. Increasing use of electric vehicles  and tighter standards on building codes are a few of our options. I would like to see a demo project of a residential house remodeled for net zero carbon emissions. With OSU, Innovation is a constant possibility. I think we are making good progress working with Nature.  The last item, Platforms, seems to relate to financing.  To connect this to your second link about the Rockefeller family. I think there may be possibilities.
      Personally, I don't go for attacking/ picketing the big banks. It's not because I like them; it just seems about as effective as a fly trying to herd an elephant!  I am in favor of a positive approach of developing local projects that are financed by credit unions and that we can publicize. Last spring Jerry Sorte presented an idea of a Community Investment Fund. I have attached the document.  That could be a possibility and/or some other project that was high profile. Anyway, just my opinion.
                                Kirk Rensmeyer

p.s. Great website by H.R.H.  Prince Charles

--
——————
Economic Vitality Action Team | Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

VISION: Corvallis is home to a vibrant, diverse and sustainable economy anchored by a broad spectrum of local, environmentally-friendly businesses.

https://sustainablecorvallis.org/action-teams/economic-vitality/
---
Community-Investment-Funds-Final.pdf

Ruby Moon

Oct 15, 2020, 11:58:46 AM10/15/20
to Kirk Rensmeyer, Amills, EVAT
Thanks for always having the ability to put things in context.
Ruby