Portland Heat Wave summary

Kirk Rensmeyer

Jul 30, 2021, 10:58:48 PM7/30/21
to eatcor...@googlegroups.com, EVAT
Hi all,
Following this horrific event on the news last month led me to
wonder what happened? For anyone curious I provided the connection
to some sources for further study and possible discussion.
Kirk Rensmeyer
Review of Portland Heat Wave.docx

Annette Mills

Jul 30, 2021, 11:33:14 PM7/30/21
to Kirk Rensmeyer, eatcor...@googlegroups.com, EVAT
Thank you, Kirk!

I found the last entry to be especially instructive, in which PSU Professor Vivek Shandas said, “We’re continuing to redesign, build, and change our cities, yet with very little attention to heat. That’s been my lifelong pursuit: How do we get developers, building codes, planners, landscape architects, and architects thinking about ways in which heat is going to make this a harder place to live, even before we break ground on a building? Often what we’re seeing builders do now is throw AC at it.”

I have been dismayed to see how much hardscape the City of Corvallis has been adding to their parks, which only exacerbates the heat island effect.

Annette
--
——————
Economic Vitality Action Team | Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

VISION: Corvallis is home to a vibrant, diverse and sustainable economy anchored by a broad spectrum of local, environmentally-friendly businesses.

https://sustainablecorvallis.org/action-teams/economic-vitality/
---