Sourcing pictures of named people

James Morley

Aug 9, 2018, 8:32:34 AM8/9/18
to europe...@googlegroups.com, hugo.ma...@gmail.com
Hi

I am looking to source a range of images of named people from the 1914-18 project.

If I look for all the 1914-18 records that have an agent defined - https://www.europeana.eu/api/v2/search.json?wskey={apikey}&query=*:*&qf=edm_agent:*&qf=PROVIDER:"Europeana+1914-1918" - I get over 30,000 results but I strongly suspect those are both contributors and subjects.

Note that on a sample record such as https://www.europeana.eu/portal/en/record/2020601/contributions_9917.html the search API does not appear to include either name (contributor or subject) in the response, but if I look at the record response https://www.europeana.eu/api/v2/record/2020601/contributions_9917.json?wskey=ISXVIQBYBQ I can see them under the 'agents' branch. However, although the Europeana site can clearly differentiate which one is which, I confess I am unable to dissect the json to work this out for myself!

So in brief my needs are
- search for just though records with images where the subject is identified
- extract the names of the subjects alongside the media

Any pointers much appreciated!

Many thanks, James

---
James Morley
www.jamesmorley.net / @jamesinealing
www.whatsthatpicture.com / @PhotosOfThePast

Hugo Manguinhas

Aug 13, 2018, 5:54:45 AM8/13/18
to europe...@googlegroups.com
Dear James Morley,

Thank you for your email!

In the special case of "Europeana 14-18", the items are contributed by end-users using the Europeana 14-18 contribution platform where we chose to model them as creator/contributors of the digital asset. I interpret from your question that you are not looking for those, but the named entities that the digital asset is about (e.g. photograph of an army officer). In such case, you can be more specific and search only on the "proxy_dc_subject"... it will be hard to filter only the values for which there is an actual agent description provided in the record, but you could try using the search pattern "*europeana19141918:agent*" since they appear to follow it (note that this sort of pattern may be easier to change in the future if a different policy is applied to mint those identifiers).

... btw, just a tip that I always use when I dont really know what is in the data is to facet on the fields. e.g. see this one for the proxy_dc_creator (in case you were indeed looking for those):  https://www.europeana.eu/api/v2/search.json?wskey=YOUR_KEY&query=*:*&qf=PROVIDER:%22Europeana+1914-1918%22&profile=facets&facet=proxy_dc_creator&f.proxy_dc_creator.facet.limit=10000&rows=0

Hope my answer was of help and let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
The API team

--
Visit Europeana Labs for API Documentation, Open Datasets, and our Apps Showcase - http://labs.europeana.eu