keyless API access?

Fred Leeflang

Jul 12, 2018, 8:40:35 AM7/12/18
to Europeana API forum
Hi folks,

All of the objects in the Europeana database are essentially free to watch. I'm not sure why an API key is even required. I read a bit of a debate about that earlier and I'm kind of curious why the API would even *require* an API key. I know it's very common of course but adding a ?wkey= also disables some of the really nice HTTP features such as caching.

Would it be possible to change the API such that it wont require an API key (thereby introducing privacy concerns as well since an email is required for it) to access objects that are public anyway?

-Fred

Fred Leeflang

Jul 18, 2018, 3:17:52 AM7/18/18
to Europeana API forum
Does anybody @Europeana also read this or is it just us ex-employees? ;)

Maarten Brinkerink

Jul 18, 2018, 9:12:11 AM7/18/18
to europe...@googlegroups.com

Op 18 jul. 2018, om 09:17 heeft Fred Leeflang <fr...@dutchie.org> het volgende geschreven:

Does anybody @Europeana also read this or is it just us ex-employees? ;)

+1

--
Visit Europeana Labs for API Documentation, Open Datasets, and our Apps Showcase - http://labs.europeana.eu
---

Hugo Manguinhas

Aug 2, 2018, 5:39:32 PM8/2/18
to europe...@googlegroups.com
Dear Fred and Maarten,

Thank you for your email!

The Europeana APIs use keys not to restrict the access to Europeana's content as any individual or Organization can request for an API key and no limits are presently enforced. The API keys are used to provide us with information that can help us improve the services that we offer.

For more information on this topic you can read the API terms of use: https://www.europeana.eu/portal/en/rights/api.html

Kind regards,
The API team