Call for more than one collection but not all

Kamil Berger

Aug 31, 2020, 2:37:03 PM8/31/20
to Europeana API forum
Hi everyone,

thank you for this great API. My team and I have been working with this api for about one week and we wonder there is any possibility to call api for more than one collection. I've tried with:

query=collection:(art+OR+fashion)
query=collection:art+fashion
query=(collection:art+OR+collection:music)

but unfortunetly anyone of these is correct. It seems that 'theme' parameter can take only one value.

Hugo Manguinhas

Sep 1, 2020, 1:36:05 PM9/1/20
to europe...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kamil,

We are happy to hear of your interest for the Europeana APIs.

At the moment, it is not possible to combine a search in more than one collection... this is because the field "collection" is actually not a field but a (quite complex) query rewrite performed behind the scenes. This is why we do not advertise that "field" but instead designed it as a parameter named "theme" as described in the official documentation: https://pro.europeana.eu/page/search

Btw, we are taking steps to move away from thematic collections (as they were previously called) into a more "entity" driven approach where will augment the data with such information as art, fashion, etc. When this is fully in place, it will open the door to more elaborate queries using boolean/set operations.

We apologize for not being able to meet your needs... if you need any further assistance, please let us know.

With kind regards,
Hugo (Europeana API team)

--
Visit Europeana Labs for API Documentation, Open Datasets, and our Apps Showcase - http://labs.europeana.eu
---

Hugo Manguinhas | Product Manager API
T: +31 (0)70 3140657

E: hugo.ma...@europeana.eu | Skype: hugo.manguinhas

We continue to work from home until 1 September 2020. You can read more about how we are doing that here.

Be part of Europe's online cultural movement - join the Europeana Network Association: Sign up for the Association | #AllezCulture| @Europeanaeu | Europeana Pro website

Disclaimer: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate,
distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your
system.

Kamil Berger

Sep 1, 2020, 6:33:58 PM9/1/20
to Europeana API forum
Thank you for your response. I'm looking forward to this improvement :)

Best regards,
KB