Do you have any slang word for euro ?

Alexis Guillaume

Jun 6, 2004, 10:16:31 AM6/6/04
In France, we still use "euro" (which is one sylable too much btw :-) ) ; I
miss the old slang words. I wonder if the situation is the same in the
whole euro zone ...

--
Alexis Guillaume [fr, en, ~de]

"Il est minuit. La pluie fouette les vitres."

Daniel

Jun 6, 2004, 11:52:32 AM6/6/04
"Alexis Guillaume" <al...@volfoni-brothers.org> wrote in message

> In France, we still use "euro" (which is one sylable too much btw :-) ) ;
> miss the old slang words. I wonder if the situation is the same in the
> whole euro zone ...

I think it will take some time to have some established slang word. I was
very surprised when I heard some on the very 1st of January 2002 refer to
the "euros" as "rulos" (lit. hair curler) but I have never heard it again.

Fixed expresions like "No tengo un duro" (I don't have any money), "No voy a
gastar ni una peseta más" (I'm not going to spend any more money), we are
still using the names (both official and slang forms) of the Spanish Peseta.

Nevertheless, when we state an ammound (like in "It cost me 200 euros"), I
have always heard the official name (with the single exception mentioned
above).

In Germany, the word "teuro" has become quite popular, I belive, but I
cannot really tell because, even if I live here, my German is not yet so
good. Here's an example: "Immerhin kostet der Sony-Telekonverter locker 100
Teuros mehr."

If you look it up in the Internet, you will find several spellings: tEuro,
Teuro, teuro.

For those who don't speak German, "teuer" means "expensive" in German.
"teuro" is a way to express how much people feel that prices have increased
with the changeover to the euro.

Looking forward to hear about other slang words!

Daniel

Torsten Bronger

Jun 6, 2004, 12:12:50 PM6/6/04
Halloechen!

"Daniel" <dan...@t-online.de> writes:

> [...]

> I think it will take some time to have some established slang
> word.

Actually there weren't much slang words for the old German currency
"Mark", at least I didn't notice. Sometimes people said "Maerker"
(some sort of diminutive form); or completely new words like "okken"
but a) this was rare use and b) they survived.

In crime movies people called units of 1000 DM "Riesen" (Giants) or
"Mille". This suvived too (but the value has been doubled ;).

On Usenet I've seen several times people spelling the word as
"oiro".

Tschoe,
Torsten.

Christian Feldhaus

Jun 6, 2004, 1:14:25 PM6/6/04
Daniel <dan...@t-online.de> wrote:

> In Germany, the word "teuro" has become quite popular, I belive, but I
> cannot really tell because, even if I live here, my German is not yet so
> good. Here's an example: "Immerhin kostet der Sony-Telekonverter locker
> 100 Teuros mehr."

The word Teuro is rather an effect of that "felt inflation" about two
years ago, not a nickname like what we used to have for some DEM coins
and notes. So it does not refer to any specific denomination ... Don't
know of any slang words for the new pieces, with two exceptions:

In parts of Germany, the nickname "Groschen" was used for the 10 pf coin
and is now - to a lesser extent, though - used for the 10 ct coin.
(Would not work the same way in Austria since they actually had a
currency unit called Groschen <g>.)

Also, some use the colors of the notes when referring to them, e.g. a
"Roter" is a €10 note, a "Blauer" is a €20 note. No idea if that is very
widespread; many people will not know the colors "by heart" yet ;-)

Christian

Marco

Jun 6, 2004, 2:05:59 PM6/6/04
In Italy we don't still have any slang word for euro.

We use some expressions like "io non ho una LIRA" (="I have no money"), but
we use always the old coin (lira).

In Italian the correct plural of "euro" is "euri" /euri/, but it sounds bad!
It is awful, but it is correct grammatically. A lot of people, however, use
"euro" instead of "euri"!

bye
Marco

Alexis Guillaume

Jun 7, 2004, 4:26:31 PM6/7/04
Torsten Bronger <bro...@physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote :

>> I think it will take some time to have some established slang
>> word.
>
> Actually there weren't much slang words for the old German currency
> "Mark", at least I didn't notice. Sometimes people said "Maerker"
> (some sort of diminutive form); or completely new words like "okken"
> but a) this was rare use and b) they survived.
>
> In crime movies people called units of 1000 DM "Riesen" (Giants) or
> "Mille". This suvived too (but the value has been doubled ;).

That's interesting to see that these words refer to a round number and
not an amount of money.
In France, the word "brique" [brick] originally meant a million of old
francs, then it became 10000F, and now it means ~1500 euros.

--
Alexis Guillaume
<http://cowsoft.free.fr> : ressources universitaires en vrac

Jim Riley

Jun 7, 2004, 11:30:26 PM6/7/04
On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 19:14:25 +0200, m...@privacy.net (Christian Feldhaus)
wrote:

>In parts of Germany, the nickname "Groschen" was used for the 10 pf coin
>and is now - to a lesser extent, though - used for the 10 ct coin.
>(Would not work the same way in Austria since they actually had a
>currency unit called Groschen <g>.)

Have any European countries given separate names for each decimal
digit? When the US adopted decimal currency the digits were named as

mill 1/1000 of dollar
cent 1/100 of dollar
dime 1/10 of dollar
dollar
eagle 10 dollars

Mill is sometimes still used, such as a mill levy, a tax on property
specified in mills per dollar (or dollars per 1000 dollars). I think
the smallest coin was a 1/2 cent (5 mills). I don't know whether
payments were rounded like the Finns do (to the nearest 5 cents).

The one cent coin is popularly called a penny. I think that when the
currency was backed by silver, that a US penny and a British pence had
the same value. The expression "in for the penny, in for the pound"
is still used in the US.

The dime coin is marked as being worth "one dime", unlike the Canadian
coin which is marked as "ten cents". When coins were minted from
silver, the size (volume or weight) was proportional to their volume.
At one time there was a half dime coin, which must have been
exceedingly small. The replacement coin is popularly known by its
base material, nickle, and is marked as being worth five cents. It
would be interesting to know whether when the coin first appeared,
whether people would say something like, "is that one of those nickle
coins", which eventually simplified to being "a nickle"

European cars have long been noted for the engineering standards
especially the suspension and braking. But without dimes to stop on,
how was this expressed? And if someone adds a lot of additional
charges (such as on a phone bill), what do they do if they don't
"nickle and dime you"?

The quarter is marked as being worth a "quarter dollar" rather than 25
cents, so the popular name is simply a shortening of this. The half
dollar coine is marked as a "half dollar". Sometimes these two coins
are referred to as 25-cent and 50-cent pieces, the latter more so
perhaps because it is easier to say (of course since the coin is
rarely seen in the wild, it might be called a "what's that").

The dollar coin has been down-sized from when it was silver (and it
lent its name to dollar sized pancakes).

There are eagle (10 dollar) and double eagle (20 dollar) coins that
are now only minted as commemoratives. Originally, they would have
been gold. When Alexander Hamilton, as the first Secretary of the
Treasury of the US, was making his report on the proposed currency
system, he went through values, "mill, cent, dime, dollar, eagle" and
said that the name "eagle" didn't fit the pattern, but that everyone
seemed to like it.

>Also, some use the colors of the notes when referring to them, e.g. a
>"Roter" is a €10 note, a "Blauer" is a €20 note. No idea if that is very
>widespread; many people will not know the colors "by heart" yet ;-)

I bet that most people will recognize them, but much fewer would be
able to tell you what color a particular note is.

--
Jim Riley

Christian Feldhaus

Jun 8, 2004, 9:19:06 AM6/8/04
Jim Riley <jim...@pipeline.com> wrote:

> Have any European countries given separate names for each decimal
> digit? When the US adopted decimal currency the digits were named as
>
> mill 1/1000 of dollar
> cent 1/100 of dollar
> dime 1/10 of dollar
> dollar
> eagle 10 dollars

Such a system is AFAIK not used in any European country. Until about 20
years ago, Cyprus and Malta had something like that (MT: 1000 mils = 100
cents = 1 pound; CY: 1000 mils = 1 pound; not sure if Cyprus had cents).
And of course there were various non-decimal systems that had more than
two unit names.

San Marino legally has another unit called scudo, and 1 scudo is about
30 euro, I think. Practically, however, that is irrelevant since the
scudi are gold coins which cannot be bought at face value and which
hardly anybody will use for buying a newspaper or an espresso ...

Spain preserved or revived some older unit names for it collectors
coins. An 8 reales coin is actually a 10 euro piece, a cincuentin is 50
euro, and a 4 (8) escudos gold coin is 200 (400) euro. The mint and
quite a few collectors use these traditional names, but they do not show
up on the coins. Besides, those are not really made for circulation
either.

> And if someone adds a lot of additional charges (such as on a phone bill),
> what do they do if they don't "nickle and dime you"?

In such idiomatic expressions our old coins are quite likely to
"survive", too. In most of Germany the heller was last used in the early
1870s, but you may still hear expression like >not a single (red)
heller<. The taler occurs as well, and everybody who knows Onkel
Dagobert aka Scrooge McDuck knows what a kreuzer is :-)

Christian

Sven C. Berger

Jun 10, 2004, 8:51:24 AM6/10/04
Daniel wrote:
> In Germany, the word "teuro" has become quite popular, I belive, but I
> cannot really tell because, even if I live here, my German is not yet so
> good. Here's an example: "Immerhin kostet der Sony-Telekonverter locker 100
> Teuros mehr."

Andt there it starts to get confusing, since in some business contexts,
"TEUR" or "TEURO" refers to "thousand EUR".

I sometimes hear "EU" as an abbreviated form => "The drink costs five EU."

Ciao,
Sven