Eureka Brewing Yeast - Before the first release

Eureka Brewing Yeast

Sep 6, 2013, 3:26:58 PM9/6/13
to eureka-bre...@googlegroups.com
Greetings Yeast aficionados,
with the BBA/EBY experiment now running, I now have more time to think about upcoming yeast releases. The first preliminary results from the experiment should be out by the end of the year. Since the goal of the BBA/EBY experiment is to get an idea how the 20 strains actually perform, none of the strains will be released by me before the first results are in. In other words, don't expect any strain releases nor any notifications from me before the end of this year.

This leaves me with enough time to think about some aspects concerning the yeast releases such as packaging, costs, cell counts, shipping equipment etc. I would like to emphasize that I am doing the yeast releases as a hobby and my financial resources are kind of limited (as I am still a student). Therefore don't expect to get as much yeast as you get from commercial yeast suppliers. My main goal is to supply unique, pure and healthy yeasts in the highest quality as possible. All the strains/blend are therefore tested for their viability and any measurable/observable contaminations before they are sent out. Enough reasons for me to keep the releases in my own hands. I therefore do not guarantee anything for any of the EBY strains you get from someone else.

By buying EBY strains from me you not only support biodiversity but give me the opportunity to isolate new yeasts and bacteria, support further beer micro-organism related research either on my own or in collaboration and you even support any experiments in the future like the recent BBA/EBY Brettanomyces experiment. This is not only of benefit to me but will flow back to the community as well.

This leaves me with mentioning the newest members in the EBY family:
  • EBY052 Milupa 1 (a mixture of Wyeast B. Brux, Wyeast B. Lambicus, Girardin dregs, Les Trois Dames Oud Bruin dregs, EBY038 B. cantillon VIII, Cantillon Lou Pepe dregs)
  • EBY995 Brettmagedon I (a blend of all the 20 Brett strains sent out for the experiment. Thanks to Jeff Mello (@melloknows) for naming the blend)
  • EBYXXX (no name yet): Further Bretts from Jolly Pumpkin, 3 Fonteinen, Hanssens, Tilquin, Lost Abbey and Cantillon in the pipeline

In Funk We Trust!

Cheers, Sam