Spreading the Word: Capturing the Hubs

Paul Johnston (pauljohn)

Oct 26, 2009, 11:01:10 AM10/26/09
to eups20
Dear Fellow Rowers

We are making reasonable progress in terms of spreading the word -
around 350 have endorsed via the website and around 450 have joined
the facebook group. So we have probably got over 500 supporters in
total. This is quite good, but without more action from us the rate of
growth is likely to slacken and we are unlikely to get beyond 1000
supporters by the time of Malmo. Obviously the more people we have,
the more impact!

I think the key issue now is making our campaign compelling and trying
to find hubs (people who touch lots of people) who can make this
initiative known to a much wider group of people. Please can you try
to find of potential hubs in your country and then share your ideas
and plans to influence them with this group. Of course, if you have
any other ideas on making this initiative more viral, please share
them too.

David and I are still working on the collaborative video idea and hope
to have something exciting to share with you on this later on this
week.

Paul

david osimo

Oct 27, 2009, 1:11:52 AM10/27/09
to eup...@googlegroups.com
Hi all
i think we need to involve 2 types of "hubs" in order to disseminate the message:
the open source community
some VIP blogger in our countries
best
david

> This is our e-government EU strategy, let's make it better! Please endorse the open EU declaration on public services 2.0 www.endorsetheopendeclaration.eu

skype, twitter: osimod

Alberto Cottica

Oct 27, 2009, 4:22:39 AM10/27/09
to eup...@googlegroups.com
I suggest we shift this conversation to the Facebook group. The rowing commitee has done its part, its easily available firepower obviously spent. My suggestion is that we word a careful message and broadcast it over to the 500 people who have showed they care enough to join the Facebook group. We need not treat the word "group" as merely a feature of Facebook's database; it implies a certain amount of coordination. By joining, these people authorize us to ask them to get on board.

I am not quite sure as to how to frame the message. My angle would be something like: "Ok, so we're all out there blogging and twittering and looking down at dumb administrations who are not media-savvy and collaborative-production-geared as you are. How lame is it then when somebody actually tries to push these same principle into policy they flop? Does not this tell us that our way of doing thing may be undependable, unconsistent, a fad? Please get involved!"

What does everyone think?

A.

david osimo

Oct 27, 2009, 5:54:56 AM10/27/09
to eup...@googlegroups.com
great stuff alberto. you nailed it down!

> This is our e-government EU strategy, let's make it better! Please endorse the open EU declaration on public services 2.0 www.endorsetheopendeclaration.eu

skype, twitter: osimod

Alberto Cottica

Oct 27, 2009, 5:57:47 AM10/27/09
to eup...@googlegroups.com
David :-)

That's complexity theory in action for you. Build a 20-strong group, leverage it into some sort of collective action, then use the action to build a 500 strong group, leverage that, then use the action to... [he is dragged away by men in white coats]