Launching the Mass Endorsement Phase

1 view

Paul Johnston (pauljohn)

Oct 14, 2009, 10:44:58 AM10/14/09
to eups20
Fellow Rowers!

Thanks for a great discussion over the last week. I think there is
quite a lot of consensus and we have tried to reflect this in the
suggested final version below. The only real substantive issues is
whether we should try to cover the citizen-controlled personal data as
suggested by William Heath. We are suggesting including in the
Empowerment Principle a sentence saying: "They [public organisations]
should also treat citizens as owners of their own personal data and
enable them to monitor and control how this data is shared." Please

We hope we can resolve this issue today (Tuesday) and then move onto
the next phase tomorrow morning. At that point we will launch:

1) Launch David's endorse the declaration site http://www.endorsetheopendeclaration.eu/
2) Launch the Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=150661944506&ref=mf
3) Add a Spread the Word page to http://eups20.wordpress.com/

In the run-up to Malmo event we will also seek to use video (YouTube)
and Twitter to build awareness of this initiative and drive people to
http://www.endorsetheopendeclaration.eu/ which will be the central
place where we will collect individual endorsements.

Paul

FULL PROPOSED FINAL TEXT (subject to views on personal data sentence)

An Open Declaration on European Public Services

The needs of today's society are too complex to be met by government
alone. While traditional government policies sought to automate public
services and encourage self-service, the biggest impact of the web
will be in improving services through collaboration, transparency and
knowledge-sharing.

Europe should grasp this opportunity and rebuild the relationship
between citizens and the state by opening up public institutions and
by empowering citizens to take a more active role in public services.

As citizens, we want full insight into all the activities undertaken
on our behalf. We want to be able to contribute to public policies as
they are developed, implemented, and reviewed. We want to be actively
involved in designing and providing public services with extensive
scope to contribute our views and with more and more decisions in our
hands. We want the whole spectrum of government information from draft
legislation to budget data to be easy for citizens to access,
understand, reuse, and remix. This is not because we want to reduce
government's role, but because open collaboration will make public
services better and improve the quality of decision-making.

Against this background, we propose three core principles for European
public services:

1. Transparency: all public sector organisations should be
"transparent by default" and should provide the public with clear,
regularly-updated information on all aspects of their operations and
decision-making processes. There should also be robust mechanisms for
citizens to highlight areas where they would like to see further
transparency. When providing information, public sector organisations
should do so in open, standard and reusable formats (with, of course,
full regard to privacy issues).

2. Participation: government should pro-actively seek citizen
input in all its activities from user involvement in shaping services
to public participation in policy-making. This input should be public
for other citizens to view and government should publicly respond to
it. The capacity to collaborate with citizens should become a core
competence of government.

3. Empowerment: public institutions should seek to act as
platforms for public value creation. In particular, government data
and government services should be made available in ways that others
can easily build on. Public organisations should enable all citizens
to solve their problems for themselves by providing tools, skills and
resources. They should also treat citizens as owners of their own
personal data and enable them to monitor and control how this data is
shared.

We recognise that implementing these principles will take time and
resources as governance mechanisms will have to be adapted, but we
believe they should be at the heart of efforts to transform
government. Citizens are already acting on these ideas and
transforming public services "from the outside", but governments
should support and accelerate this process.

We call on European governments and the European Commission to
incorporate these principles in their eGovernment action plans and
ensure that Europe's citizens enjoy the benefits of transparent,
participative, empowering government as soon as possible.

david osimo

Oct 14, 2009, 9:49:47 PM10/14/09
to eup...@googlegroups.com
All
I published the version as sent by Paul and did all the changes to the websites. I published already so that we have your feedback.

If you have major issues with the final version let us know

By 11 am CET thursday 15th we assume everything is ok and communicate publicly that the declaration is final and go for endorsement.

Thanks
david

david osimo

Oct 14, 2009, 9:57:02 PM10/14/09
to eup...@googlegroups.com
All
I made the open declaration protected by password until 11am tomorrow
password is malmo09
david

> This is our e-government EU strategy, let's make it better! Please help drafting an open EU declaration on public services 2.0 at http://eups20.wordpress.com

skype, twitter: osimod

Alberto

Oct 15, 2009, 9:06:29 AM10/15/09
to eups20, Nadia El-Imam
Hey, everyone. I think there is a bug on the http://www.endorsetheopendeclaration.eu/
. After filing the form and endorsing, I tried to visualize the list
of the signatures, but I could only see the first ten or so. Links to
the signatories' websites were scattered in a different part of the
page, impossible to associate to the names if you don't know the
people personally. A third heap of data had all of the countries:
Belgium, UK, Uk, Spain, UK...

Also, I think it would be a major tool of communication and building
on reputation if people could see who endorsed independently of
endorsing themselves (I cannot access that page anymore). Optimally,
you would be able to search for your friends among the signatories'
database. What do you think?

A.

On Oct 15, 3:57 am, david osimo <david.os...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All
> I made the open declaration protected by password until 11am tomorrow
> password is malmo09
> david
>
>  > This is our e-government EU strategy, let's make it better! Please
> help drafting an open EU declaration on public services 2.0 at http://
> eups20.wordpress.com
>
> david.os...@gmail.com
> skype, twitter: osimodhttp://egov20.wordpress.com
> mobile: +32-498088323
>
> On 14 Oct 2009, at 16:44, Paul Johnston (pauljohn) wrote:
>

> > Fellow Rowers!
>
> > Thanks for a great discussion over the last week. I think there is
> > quite a lot of consensus and we have tried to reflect this in the
> > suggested final version below. The only real substantive issues is
> > whether we should try to cover the citizen-controlled personal data as
> > suggested by William Heath. We are suggesting including in the
> > Empowerment Principle a sentence saying: "They [public organisations]
> > should also treat citizens as owners of their own personal data and
> > enable them to monitor and control how this data is shared." Please
>
> > We hope we can resolve this issue today (Tuesday) and then move onto
> > the next phase tomorrow morning. At that point we will launch:
>
> > 1) Launch David's endorse the declaration site http://
> >www.endorsetheopendeclaration.eu/
> > 2) Launch the Facebook grouphttp://www.facebook.com/group.php?
> > gid=150661944506&ref=mf
> > 3) Add a Spread the Word page tohttp://eups20.wordpress.com/
>
> > In the run-up to Malmo event we will also seek to use video (YouTube)
> > and Twitter to build awareness of this initiative and drive people to
> >http://www.endorsetheopendeclaration.eu/which will be the central

david osimo

Oct 15, 2009, 9:40:40 AM10/15/09
to eup...@googlegroups.com, Nadia El-Imam
Google says it's impossible to share but maybe through this link it will work

It's a google form so we are limited in what we can do
thanks for feedback!!!
david

> This is our e-government EU strategy, let's make it better! Please help drafting an open EU declaration on public services 2.0 at http://eups20.wordpress.com

skype, twitter: osimod

david osimo

Oct 15, 2009, 10:36:36 AM10/15/09
to eup...@googlegroups.com
I agree this would be optimal but we would need another tool for
this, also because we do not want to force people to use Facebook...

Do you think we could set the list of respondents as public without
asking people for a disclosure? I could put a link in the right
column...

grazie
david

Alberto

Oct 17, 2009, 6:19:04 AM10/17/09
to eups20
I've been talking to Nadia and she agrees that visibility of the
endorsers is very important to make this work. Worst case scenario, we
should do it manually: just copy-paste the spreadsheet (which I can't
visualize, by the way) onto an HTML page in the blog every other day.
I think this is really important.

Also, a big counter of endorsers next to the days countdown would be
good. Make people feel part of a micro movement!

A.

david osimo

Oct 17, 2009, 12:09:59 PM10/17/09
to eup...@googlegroups.com
Alberto fully agree and thanks for suggestion. Normally you should be
already able to see them from link in the page. Tell me if not. I'll
check with Nadia if she can do a real countdown. Thanks!

David Osimo (sent from my iPod)

Alberto

Oct 18, 2009, 9:04:34 AM10/18/09
to eups20
Everything works, though the Google spreadheet visualization is not
very elegant. Now on to spreading the word!