32016 Co-Processor (For Sale)

Nightline

Jun 7, 1993, 8:10:36 PM6/7/93
Hello world ;)

If anybody out there still plays with a BBC 'B' and loves unusual
kit, maybe they'd be interested in this, which I'd like to sell:

Acorn 'Cambridge' Co-Processor
Processor: 32016, 32bit (64bit Maths), 6MHz (Upgradable to 12MHz)
Memory: 1Mb RAM, Upgradable to 4Mb
OS: 'Pandora' basic system, loads PanOS user system, which continually
reminds one of Risc in various ways...
Software: BASIC IV, ISO-Pascal, Fortran-77, Cambridge Lisp, C,
editor and linker suite.

Lots of interest value (!), and perhaps some genuine use for people using
BBC's to drive hardware who long for either: 4x faster BASIC, or maybe C, or
maybe just the memory?

In top condition, and with 2 sets of all the original discs, AND a
spare ULA (the Tube connection apparently blows this from time to time),
this unit originally retailed at over 1200 UK pounds. Apparently Durham
University's astrology lab has 20 and the MOD have 10 in a Land Rover
somewhere!

If you're interested in buying this for a very reasonable figure, or
maybe an exchange for (any) interesting Acorn or non-Acorn hardware,
please get in touch.

Cheers,
Kieran Turner
kie...@cogs.susx.ac.uk
+44 (0) 273 747163

Jason O'Broin

Jun 8, 1993, 10:32:17 AM6/8/93

>In top condition, and with 2 sets of all the original discs, AND a
>spare ULA (the Tube connection apparently blows this from time to time),
>this unit originally retailed at over 1200 UK pounds. Apparently Durham
>University's astrology lab has 20 and the MOD have 10 in a Land Rover

^^^^^^^^^ (!) astronomy ?
>somewhere!

Durham University Physics Dept. does indeed have a bunch of 32016 co-processors
(+ a couple of ABC's - remember them?). We used them in my 2nd year for a bit
of Fortrash programming (astronomical calculations). I presume they still have
them.

Jason
--
( 'Look at the blood we're spilling. GUNS N' ROSES
Look at the world we're killing 'Civil War'

Clive Jones

Jun 8, 1993, 7:13:26 PM6/8/93
In article <C8B4D...@newcastle.ac.uk> J.P.O...@newcastle.ac.uk (Jason O'Broin) writes:
>Durham University Physics Dept. does indeed have a bunch of 32016 co-processors
>(+ a couple of ABC's - remember them?). We used them in my 2nd year for a bit
>of Fortrash programming (astronomical calculations). I presume they still have
>them.

Cambridge University has about 60 in a cupboard somewhere - we also
used to use them to teach Fortran.

--Clive.

Nick Smith

Jun 13, 1993, 4:59:19 AM6/13/93
In article <C8IB1...@newcastle.ac.uk> A.M....@newcastle.ac.uk (A.M.Wall) writes:
>Surely not ABCs. The ABC was never released. Bedford Modern School won one in
>an Acorn User competition, which they certainly still have, but apart from that
>one, very few were actually made. Durham is more likely to have Acorn Cambridge
>Workstations.

Really? I thought BMS threw it out years ago! I remember a time when the ABC
sat happily in the computer room, master of all BBC micros ... then came along
a few dozen Archimedes and that was the end of it!

Nick.
--
Nick Smith, Rm.226, Churchill College, Cambridge XOX Email: na...@cus.cam.ac.uk
Intel? Watashi o warawasenaide kudasi ... OXO Phone: (0223) 465596