BASF's way to deal with toxic chemical waste

Lex Wassenberg

Sep 13, 1990, 7:30:24 AM9/13/90
In eunet.jokes Dolf Grunbauer writes:

>Just dump it in the Rhine and when someone notices it tell them you've
>had a minor technical problem.
>
>Ask BASF as they used this trick 13 times last year and keep on using it,
>where the most recent dumping was only a week ago.

You think that's a JOKE? Well I personally don't think it is.
And yes, because it happens several times a year (you can rely on it,
there will be no 3 months without any "accidents" at BASF), I personally
boycott all products of BASF (floppiess, videotapes, musicassettes,
whatever more that I know is manufactured by BASF (which is probably far
more than what I know :-( )).
Mind you, this is personally, and has nothing whatsoever to do with
my employer or his politics.

_ _
/ U |
/__ < Lex Wassenberg -----> le...@idca.tds.philips.nl
88 |_\ "Since nobody understands me, I speak only for myself."

Pim Zandbergen

Sep 18, 1990, 5:15:43 PM9/18/90
ger...@westc.uucp (Gertjan van Oosten) writes:

>A child recently said that a fitting punishment for people responsible for
>these anti-social kinds of things would be to make them swim in the Rhine.
>Now what would you say if we all went to BASF and made the whole board of
>directors go for a couple of lanes?

Yes! And let's tell the press it was an accident. (-:
--
Pim Zandbergen domain : p...@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV uucp : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

Gertjan van Oosten

Sep 18, 1990, 3:10:20 AM9/18/90
le...@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Lex Wassenberg) writes:
>In eunet.jokes Dolf Grunbauer writes:

>>Just dump it in the Rhine and when someone notices it tell them you've
>>had a minor technical problem.
>>
>>Ask BASF as they used this trick 13 times last year and keep on using it,
>>where the most recent dumping was only a week ago.

>You think that's a JOKE? Well I personally don't think it is.

A child recently said that a fitting punishment for people responsible for

these anti-social kinds of things would be to make them swim in the Rhine.
Now what would you say if we all went to BASF and made the whole board of
directors go for a couple of lanes?

--
-- Gertjan van Oosten, ger...@westc.uucp OR mcsun!hp4nl!westc!gertjan
-- West Consulting bv, Phoenixstraat 49, 2611 AL Delft, The Netherlands

Kruijswijk Lucas B

Sep 19, 1990, 5:56:46 AM9/19/90
In article <1990Sep18....@westc.uucp> ger...@westc.uucp (Gertjan van Oosten) writes:
>le...@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Lex Wassenberg) writes:
>>In eunet.jokes Dolf Grunbauer writes:
>A child recently said that a fitting punishment for people responsible for
>these anti-social kinds of things would be to make them swim in the Rhine.
>Now what would you say if we all went to BASF and made the whole board of
>directors go for a couple of lanes?
No, no, no, no!!! The Rhine would be spoiled for at least 2 years.

Greetings,

Lucas B. Kruijswijk lbk...@cs.vu.nl

Martin Weitzel

Sep 20, 1990, 11:25:10 AM9/20/90
In article <1990Sep18.2...@cti-software.nl> p...@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>ger...@westc.uucp (Gertjan van Oosten) writes:
>
>>A child recently said that a fitting punishment for people responsible for
>>these anti-social kinds of things would be to make them swim in the Rhine.
>>Now what would you say if we all went to BASF and made the whole board of
>>directors go for a couple of lanes?
>
>Yes! And let's tell the press it was an accident. (-:
>--
I know that this started in a thread that meant to be funny. But
for all the people (out in the world) who may get an improper
impression on how contaminated the river Rhine really is I want
to add some serious information:

Due to a lost bet, one of the ministers of the current government
(don't no any more exactly, either Klaus Toepfer or Norbert Bluem)
had to cross the the river Rhine swimming. Maybe that he regretted
this promise after loosing the bet, but he had to do it (and of course
doing it brought him some publicity). I think it was near Mainz,
where he crossed the Rhine. Mainz is located downstream from the
BASF, but maybe still upstream from some other big contaminators.
The Minister is still living.

I don't want to justify what the BASF and others are doing to the
Rhine, the river definetly *is* dirty and contaminated, but not
sufficiently to kill someone who swims through it.
--
Martin Weitzel, email: mar...@mwtech.UUCP, voice: 49-(0)6151-6 56 83

S Matthews

Sep 23, 1990, 9:40:48 AM9/23/90
<
<Due to a lost bet, one of the ministers of the current government
<(don't no any more exactly, either Klaus Toepfer or Norbert Bluem)
<had to cross the the river Rhine swimming. Maybe that he regretted
<doing it brought him some publicity). I think it was near Mainz,
<where he crossed the Rhine. Mainz is located downstream from the
<BASF, but maybe still upstream from some other big contaminators.
<The Minister is still living.
<Martin Weitzel, email: mar...@mwtech.UUCP, voice: 49-(0)6151-6 56 83

Isn't Mainz about 150 km downstream; and anyway, according to what I
have heard, the minister (Toepfer) was wearing a protective rubber suit
not just a pair of swimming trunks.

Sean

Michel Wurtz

Sep 24, 1990, 5:18:34 AM9/24/90
in article <9...@mwtech.UUCP>, mar...@mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) says:

> Due to a lost bet, one of the ministers of the current government
> (don't no any more exactly, either Klaus Toepfer or Norbert Bluem)
> had to cross the the river Rhine swimming. Maybe that he regretted
> this promise after loosing the bet, but he had to do it (and of course
> doing it brought him some publicity). I think it was near Mainz,
> where he crossed the Rhine. Mainz is located downstream from the
> BASF, but maybe still upstream from some other big contaminators.
> The Minister is still living.

Twenty five years ago, I walked often along the Rhine. There was a lot of
fishers. Last year, I was near Strasbourg... and there were still fisher
there... but *very* less fishes! Do you think somebody (a german minister
after a lost bet for example) will eat this fishes (remember Minamata)?

Some years ago, I saw a photography: the quality was pretty bad, but the
revelator very inexpensive: Rhine water.

I regret it, but the Rhine is now just a giant garbage collector, warmed
by the french nuclear power plant (I think an alligator can leave in the
Rhine, even in winter!).

--
, ,
/| /| Michel Wurtz m...@ign.uucp

Institut Geographique National 2, Av Pasteur BP 68 F-94160 St Mande