eunet.misc

Matthew Farwell

Sep 13, 1990, 8:36:07 PM9/13/90

Recently in the UK, the 2 newsgroups uk.general and uk.followup were
replaced by uk.misc. This was done to save having to run around
different newsgroups to find articles. Maybe its time to do the same
with eunet.general and eunet.followup. Has anyone any real objections?

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell | Email: dy...@ibmpcug.co.uk
The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,| dylan%ibmpcug.CO.UK@ukc

Matthias Urlichs

Sep 17, 1990, 4:56:07 AM9/17/90
In eunet.followup, article <1990Sep14.0...@ibmpcug.co.uk>,

dy...@ibmpcug.CO.UK (Matthew Farwell) writes:
<
< Recently in the UK, the 2 newsgroups uk.general and uk.followup were
< replaced by uk.misc. [...] Maybe its time to do the same

< with eunet.general and eunet.followup. Has anyone any real objections?
<
Replace "maybe" with "definitely".
(In other words, strong support here.)

--
Matthias Urlichs -- url...@smurf.sub.org -- url...@smurf.ira.uka.de /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330) \o)/

Ronald S H Khoo

Sep 17, 1990, 9:05:39 PM9/17/90
url...@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:

> dy...@ibmpcug.CO.UK (Matthew Farwell) writes:
>< Recently in the UK, the 2 newsgroups uk.general and uk.followup were
>< replaced by uk.misc. [...] Maybe its time to do the same
>< with eunet.general and eunet.followup. Has anyone any real objections?

> Replace "maybe" with "definitely".
> (In other words, strong support here.)

Question is, would Piet allow, and respect the outcome of a vote?
Also, if we have a vote, what should the guidelines be ?
eunet.* is a lot smaller than USENET, so it ought really to have
a smaller vote "quorum", I would have thought.

Piet? Eunetters? what say all of you ?

--
my .signature is on holiday

Piet Beertema

Sep 18, 1990, 7:41:19 AM9/18/90

Question is, would Piet allow, and respect the outcome of a vote?
Silly question. Why shouldn't I???

Also, if we have a vote, what should the guidelines be ?
eunet.* is a lot smaller than USENET, so it ought really to have
a smaller vote "quorum", I would have thought.

First of all there has to be a volunteer collecting the votes;
I'm not a candidate for that job...
Second, the voting will not really be about a new newsgroup, but
about a reorganisation of existing newsgroups (although it implies
creating a new group as replacement). So in this case I would say
that a 2/3 YES majority of the incoming votes would do.
Third, this issue has been discussed before and the feeling then
was that the name "general" better covers what the group is meant
for than "misc" does. But maybe times and opinions have changed.

--
Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam (pi...@cwi.nl)

Bjorn Engsig

Sep 20, 1990, 7:20:59 AM9/20/90
Article <1990Sep18.0...@robobar.co.uk> by ron...@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) says:
|Also, if we have a vote, what should the guidelines be ?
|eunet.* is a lot smaller than USENET, so it ought really to have
|a smaller vote "quorum", I would have thought.
Nope. It's the other way around; the 100 majority it much, much too low for
Usenet.
--
Bjorn Engsig, Domain: ben...@oracle.nl, ben...@oracle.com
From IBM: auschs!ibmaus!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!oracle!bengsig

Matthew Farwell

Sep 19, 1990, 9:47:28 AM9/19/90
In article <21...@charon.cwi.nl> pi...@cwi.nl (Piet Beertema) writes:
> Also, if we have a vote, what should the guidelines be ?
> eunet.* is a lot smaller than USENET, so it ought really to have
> a smaller vote "quorum", I would have thought.
>First of all there has to be a volunteer collecting the votes;
>I'm not a candidate for that job...

If it needs someone to do it, I'll do it.

>Third, this issue has been discussed before and the feeling then
>was that the name "general" better covers what the group is meant
>for than "misc" does. But maybe times and opinions have changed.

I wasn't talking about what the names mean, its just that having things
spread over 2 newsgroups is a pain, whereas if it were in just one,
it'd be easier to follow threads.

In the uk, we had uk.general + uk.followup, which were replaced by
uk.misc. This could have been done by just eliminating uk.followup, but
there are still some newsreaders out there that take the .general and
automatically post followups to the .followup. So we renamed it to
uk.misc and rmgrouped the other 2. Thats why I think eunet.misc as
opposed to eunet.general is a good idea.

Again, does anyone have any objections to me posting a CFD?

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell | Email: dy...@ibmpcug.co.uk

The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,| ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan
Harrow HA1 4LQ England | CONNECT - Usenet Access in the UK!!