EUNET.{GENERAL,FOLLOWUP} -> EUNET.MISC

1 view

Steve Elliott

Sep 20, 1990, 4:17:28 AM9/20/90
Time to speak up in favour of the change to eunet.misc.
aIt is really annoying to follow a discussion starting in
the general group and then realise some time later that someone
has sent a follow-up to the .followup group and a similar discussion
is going on there at the same time.
My vote goes on changing to misc. It's worked with uk groups, why not
eunet? What do other countries do?

Steve
--
s...@uk.ac.lancs.comp
Department of Computing, Engineering Building,

Tom Verhoeff

Sep 21, 1990, 10:26:08 AM9/21/90

Why not keep both eunet.general and eunet.followup but see to it
that all articles appear in both these newsgroups? Of course, I would
prefer a single newsgroup for these matters, but I also prefer
the name eunet.general to eunet.misc. By keeping both .general
and .followup one would avoid the problem that some postnews
utilities will automatically post the followup on an article of .general
to .followup.
--
DOMAIN: wst...@win.tue.nl / Eindhoven University of Technology
BITNET: wsintom@heitue5 / Dept of Mathematics & Computing Science

Ronald S H Khoo

Sep 22, 1990, 12:01:14 AM9/22/90

> Why not keep both eunet.general and eunet.followup but see to it
> that all articles appear in both these newsgroups?

*How* ? The whole point of replacing the .general and .followup
groups with .misc rather than just deleting .followup is that
there is *no way* of making all sites change their software.

Creating a mechanism to put the articles into both newsgroups
would require nonstandard software to be installed at all EUNET
sites -- an impossible as well as undesirable thing to do.

We lost sensible use of the .general name when that silly piece of
software "intelligence" that auto-followed to .followup was written.
Sad, but true. Eunet.misc is a reasonably workable compromise which
requires no software hacking. OK, I hate the name too, but I hate
reading split discussions even more.

Eric sez: SUPPORT EUNET.MISC!
--
my .signature is on holiday