Wanted: Address of Lille Uni.

1 view

Jack Campin

Oct 20, 1990, 11:04:53 AM10/20/90
amb...@vax1.tcd.ie wrote:
> I'm looking for the address of Lille university, in France.
> Please send me any references you may have.

lifl.lifl.fr or frcitl81.bitnet.

I had to post this since I can't email directly from here to TCD. Can
anyone do it from the UK? What's the problem? The only way I've got
email to them in the last few months has been via mcsun or inria.

--
-- Jack Campin Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland 041 339 8855 x6044 work 041 556 1878 home

dp...@vax1.tcd.ie

Oct 24, 1990, 11:06:59 AM10/24/90
In article <68...@castle.ed.ac.uk>, yfc...@castle.ed.ac.uk (K P Donnelly) writes:
> Your bother trying to reply to mail from Trinity College Dublin (TCD.IE) is
> is caused by the fact that ...

I get mail from the U.K. bearing the address

username%IE.TC...@UK.AC.EARN-RELAY

which seems to work fine.

Deryck Fay * DP...@VAX1.TCD.IE
Geography Dept. * DPFAY%IE.TC...@UK.AC.EARN-RELAY
Trinity College, Dublin *

mic...@swift.cs.tcd.ie

Oct 25, 1990, 5:22:48 AM10/25/90
> Which is pretty stupid, since IE is an official Internet
> top level domain, recognized by mailers and used by users
> throughout the world. Makes me wonder how many other valid
> Internet top level domains the NRS is missing....

I think you will find it easier to count how many top level
domains are in the NRS.

I see CH, NZ, UK, DESY(?) and CERN(?)

--
Michael Nowlan

mic...@swift.cs.tcd.ie

Oct 25, 1990, 5:12:55 AM10/25/90
In article <68...@castle.ed.ac.uk>, yfc...@castle.ed.ac.uk (K P Donnelly) writes:
> Your bother trying to reply to mail from Trinity College Dublin (TCD.IE) is
> is caused by the fact that the two-character code for Ireland, IE, is
> not registered in the NRS (Name Registration Scheme) database which is
> used by most mailers in the UK. The originally reason for this was that
> there were three separate mail networks in Ireland (reachable by EARN,
> EAN, etc) and that they did not talk to one another. This has been
> cured for several years now, but still IE is not registered.

I would certainly not agree that there were three mail networks in Ireland.
*ALL* mail networks have gatewayed between the different protocols in use
in Ireland.

> Another reason why you are having bother replying to mail from TCD.IE
> is that the EARN-RELAY gateway between JANET and EARN is not doing its
> job properly. Despite the fact that TCD.IE is not resolvable on the
> JANET (UK) side of the gateway due to the non-registration of IE, it is
> not converting TCD.IE in the From field of messages to
> %TCD.IE@EARN-RELAY.

Ireland has attempted to register in the UK NRS system many times since
1985, but to no avail, despite filling in the forms.

If you find that the EARN relay is not working, I suggest that you route
mail for Ireland via ukc.ac.uk rather than the EARN relay.

--
Michael Nowlan | eMail: mic...@cs.tcd.ie
Department of Computer Science,|

Piet Beertema

Oct 26, 1990, 7:30:21 AM10/26/90

>So, what does it take to persuade the NRS and the EARN-relay to fix this?
>Is anybody from Bradford or RAL listening?
I would hope so. And if they do and update their tables,
they might as well take along the *whole* list of the
currently valid Internet country top level domains:

AR (Argentina)
AT (Austria)
AU (Australia)
BE (Belgium)
BR (Brasil)
CA (Canada)
CH (Switzerland)
CL (Chile)
CR (Costa Rica)
DE (Germany)
DK (Denmark)
ES (Spain)
FI (Finland)
FR (France)
GR (Greece)
HK (Hongkong)
IE (Ireland)
IL (Israel)
IN (India)
IS (Iceland)
IT (Italy)
JP (Japan)
KR (Korea (South))
KW (Kuwait)
LK (Sri Lanka)
MX (Mexico)
MY (Malaysia)
NI (Nicaragua)
NL (Netherlands)
NO (Norway)
NZ (New Zealand)
PH (Philippines)
PL (Poland)
PR (Puerto Rico)
PT (Portugal)
SE (Sweden)
SG (Singapore)
SU (Soviet Union)
TH (Thailand)
TR (Turkey)
TW (Taiwan)
UK (United Kingdom)
US (U.S.A.)
UY (Uruguay)
YU (Yugoslavia)

--
Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam (pi...@cwi.nl)

Jack Campin

Oct 24, 1990, 3:21:10 PM10/24/90
yfc...@castle.ed.ac.uk (K P Donnelly) wrote:
> Your bother trying to reply to mail from Trinity College Dublin (TCD.IE) is
> is caused by the fact that the two-character code for Ireland, IE, is
> not registered in the NRS (Name Registration Scheme) database which is
> used by most mailers in the UK.[...]

> Another reason why you are having bother replying to mail from TCD.IE
> is that the EARN-RELAY gateway between JANET and EARN is not doing its
> job properly. Despite the fact that TCD.IE is not resolvable on the
> JANET (UK) side of the gateway due to the non-registration of IE, it is
> not converting TCD.IE in the From field of messages to %TCD.IE@EARN-RELAY.

This must be the right answer - it fits exactly what's been happening to my
messages.

So, what does it take to persuade the NRS and the EARN-relay to fix this?

Is anybody from Bradford or RAL listening? Do they need some extra routing
information from Ireland to sort it out? If so, what?