VISA card in Denmark/Germany?

Dieter Woerz

Sep 10, 1990, 5:53:56 PM9/10/90
In article <A0as...@heaven7.heaven7.sub.org> ser...@heaven7.heaven7.sub.org (The Heavenly File Server) writes:
<In <8...@infoac.rmi.de>, Operator writes:
<|C.R.R...@newcastle.ac.uk (Chris Ritson) writes:
<|Bank machines in Germany work with the "EuroCheque-Card", not with
<|Credit Cards. There may be VISA machines at major airports, don't know.
<
<This is not true. There are bank machines that take both Eurocheque cards
<and VISA cards, e g the machines of the KKB in Berlin.

Are you sure, that these tellers take every VISA card and not just the
ones issued by this bank?

Just asking.

--
Dieter Woerz INTERNET: wo...@isa.de
ISA GmbH UUCP: {pyramid,uunet!unido}!isaak!woerz

timo pelkonen

Sep 18, 1990, 3:57:51 PM9/18/90
After couple of weeks in Europe (I,A,D,CH) I just
wonder why Germans do not like credit cards.
In all other countries they seem to be OK.

Do the banks act differently in BRD or are there any other reasons?
Greetings from inFland - the double price country / timo pelkonen

Berthold Reif

Sep 20, 1990, 2:37:29 PM9/20/90
s29...@taltta.hut.fi (timo pelkonen) writes:

In germany it is quite difficult to pay by creditcard, but very easy to get
a credit from your bank ( about two month salaries ). And credit card had been
very expensive (120 DM p.a.). Germans hate spending money for 'nothing'.
This may be a reason

Greeting from Freiburg

Benny

The Federal Republic had been very nice ...
Berthold 'Benny' Reif
INTERNET re...@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de
BITNET reib@dfrruf1

Eric Thomas SUNET

Sep 20, 1990, 4:02:05 PM9/20/90
In article <1990Sep20....@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de> re...@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Berthold Reif) writes:
>In germany it is quite difficult to pay by creditcard, but very easy to get
>a credit from your bank ( about two month salaries ). And credit card had been
>very expensive (120 DM p.a.). Germans hate spending money for 'nothing'.
>This may be a reason

It is true that credit cards are expensive, but when you think about it you
realize that you can recover most of the costs. With most credits cards you
will pay your bill about 1 month after the purchase on the average; this means
if you have bought 1000 pebbles (where 'pebble' is a variable whose value is
the currency unit in your country) worth of goods with your credit card, you
will have saved 1000/12 times the interest rate your bank is giving you on
your account. If you use your credit card for most important purchase (which
assumes you can easily use the credit card in your country of course), at the
end of the year you will have recovered a good fraction of the cost. If you
travel to the US at least once a year, it can save you more money: without
the credit card you need to buy travellers (cost: at least 1% of the amount)
or bring a lot of cash money (try paying with a Eurocheque in the US :-) ).
When you come back you either sell the money back, and lose on the exchange
profit the banks are making, or keep the money at home until the next trip,
and then you lose the interests. Finally, I found that having a credit card
makes it unnecessary to get Eurocheques, and in some countries they charge
you as much as a credit card if you want them...

So, I think the key question is not "how much money will I waste if I
get a credit card?", but "is a credit card really useful in my country?": if
credit cards are widely accepted, you will lose little or no money, and save
a lot of time as well.

Eric

Michael Schmidt

Sep 16, 1990, 5:27:16 AM9/16/90

Dieter> <This is not true. There are bank machines that take both Eurocheque cards
Dieter> <and VISA cards, e g the machines of the KKB in Berlin.

Dieter> Are you sure, that these tellers take every VISA card and not
Dieter> just the ones issued by this bank?

They claim to. On the teller machine. At least here in Paderborn.
--
Michael Schmidt, FB 17, Uni-GH Paderborn, Warburgerstr. 100,
D-4790 Paderborn, West Germany

Petri Helenius

Sep 30, 1990, 5:10:53 PM9/30/90
In article <MICHAEL.90...@athene.uni-paderborn.de> mic...@uni-paderborn.de (Michael Schmidt) writes:

They claim to. On the teller machine. At least here in Paderborn.

I've VISA guide 1990 and it tells me that Germany has exactly zero banks with
tellers that accept VISA cards...

Our three-week European trip quite proved that to be true. (the bank officials
told us that there is no VISA tellers in Germany)

Petri Helenius, Fimeko-Data Oy Phone +358-0-487122
----------------------------------! Telefax +358-0-487314
Looking for Unix(r) FAX-system ? ! Internet pe...@fidata.fi
Mail queries to uni...@fidata.fi ! FidoNet 2:504/23.0

Jose-Miguel Piquer

Oct 2, 1990, 5:35:41 AM10/2/90
In article <PETE.90Se...@fidata.fidata.fi> pe...@fidata.fi writes:
>I've VISA guide 1990 and it tells me that Germany has exactly zero banks with
>tellers that accept VISA cards...
>
>Our three-week European trip quite proved that to be true. (the bank officials
>told us that there is no VISA tellers in Germany)
This is almost true, but I got money with my french VISA card from an
ATM at Hamburg. Someone said that at Berlin you can do it also, The bank was
the same: the KKB (spelling?).
By the way, we had a hard time looking for money before finding this
bank (it was on a sunday).
In Denmark we used a Kontant ATM machine accepting VISA, but only in
big cities.

> Petri Helenius, Fimeko-Data Oy Phone +358-0-487122
>----------------------------------! Telefax +358-0-487314
> Looking for Unix(r) FAX-system ? ! Internet pe...@fidata.fi
> Mail queries to uni...@fidata.fi ! FidoNet 2:504/23.0

Jo Piquer piq...@inria.inria.fr

Chris Davies

Oct 3, 1990, 11:07:23 AM10/3/90
In article <1990Sep18.1...@santra.uucp> s29...@taltta.hut.fi (timo pelkonen) writes:
>After couple of weeks in Europe (I,A,D,CH) I just
>wonder why Germans do not like credit cards.
>In all other countries they seem to be OK.

I'm still smarting from the refusal of Italian shops and banks to accept my
(uk) VISA card. No, it's not a credit limit problem; they just looked at
the card and said (rough translation) "bad card". I used to think that a VISA
card was accepted anywhere the VISA symbol was displayed...? Obviously not.
Any suggestions (other than not to use VISA)? I 'phoned my company but they
told me to put it to them in writing, so I won't get a reply for a couple of
months yet (1/2 :-)

>Do the banks act differently in BRD or are there any other reasons?

Ditto, but Italy not Germany.

Chris
--
VISIONWARE LTD | UK: ch...@vision.uucp JANET: chris%vision.uucp@ukc