Trying to Edit Listings and Connecting to the OAuth and Getting a Token

Aaron Jones

Jul 26, 2021, 9:12:03 AM7/26/21
to Etsy API
Hi,
I've been trying recently to connect to the Etsy API so I can edit a listing. I've been successfully able to use the API to view all of my listings from my shop, but every time I send a request to edit it with my API key I get the following message.

"error""Missing authorization header".

Therefor I thought that the next thing I should do was get my OAuth Token generated. However, I sent a GET request using the following link,
https://www.etsy.com/oauth/connect, but when I log in it just gives me:

```
An error occurred

The application that is requesting authorization to use your Etsy account is not recognized.

```

I've looked into all of the parameters I'm supposed to send, but I'm kind of stuck on what they mean by the code_challenge and code_challenge_method. Does anyone have an experience with this sort of problem, and or am I trying to connect to the OAuth token the wrong way?

Thanks,
Aaron

David Pierson

Oct 26, 2021, 8:47:02 AM10/26/21
to Etsy API
Hi,
Updating listings, and other actions such as fetching Transactions, needs OAuth. Yes you will need to obtain token and secret - a one-off task.

I used Dino Chiesa's OAuth solution (written around 2010). I'm in C#. The code includes both the initial one-off stage and the regular every-time authentication.  His is built for Twitter and needed a bit of tickling to convert it to Etsy, but it is very well written. if I can manage that, you are sure to be able to also. If you get stuck, post and we'll try to help out.

Best regards, Dave