Why Can’t Canada Reach UN Climate Targets?

Susan James

Feb 9, 2023, 4:37:56 PM2/9/23
to Etobicoke Climate Action, Sandy Cameron
Hello all,
Just watched this webinar yesterday (Why Can’t Canada Reach UN Climate Targets?) and found it really helpful so thought I'd share.  I hadn't heard of corporate regulatory capture (apologies if you know all about it), and most of the discussion centered on how regulators have been co-opted by oil and gas.  The webinar sponsor (Group of 78) will make the recording available, so let me know if anyone would like it when available.

Both speakers have conducted a great deal of research and analysis on reduction of government oversight trends and increased assistance to oil and gas corporations in avoiding accountability. So the regulators basically serve the interests of the regulated.  Campbell and MacLean have advocated for reinventing regulatory bodies, and say the best/only way to accomplish this is promoting public awareness of the landscape and public/democratic pressure to pay attention to the science rather than the corporate messages.  Senator Rosa Galvez has proposed Bill S-243, An Act to enact the Climate-Aligned Finance Act (CAFA) https://rosagalvez.ca/en/initiatives/climate-aligned-finance/ which would help accomplish this.

They decried the media's coverage of fossil fuel, pointing out how the mainstream media-- Globe, CBC, etc. --appear to be controlled by fossil fuel corporations, as a result are "science-free" zones, don't examine/mention phase-out leaving readers in the dark.  With banks as major enablers of fossil fuel production, the two recommended moving investments/accounts to credit unions; along with strategic litigation.

Economist George Stigler had exposed this issue in the 70s; see Economic Theory of Regulation (1971); https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stigler

They felt that legislators are not able to do much in this environment (but that it's worth trying) and again the best bet is to push for public awareness and action.

I appreciated the insights and information, and this shifts my attention to a new angle on climate change.
Susan