Assistant Professor in Indigenous Language Sustainability (ILS) Tenure Track Position — University of Alberta

Jorge Rosés Labrada

Oct 27, 2021, 8:39:27 AM10/27/21
to Juhani Järvikivi
Dear colleagues,

(The link to the full ad and the application portal is here: https://www.careers.ualberta.ca/Competition/A110746496/)

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Alberta invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Indigenous Language Sustainability (ILS) position. This full time appointment is effective July 1, 2022.

Applicants must hold a PhD (or be close to completion) in Linguistics or an allied field, have experience with fieldwork and community-based documentation or ethnography of Indigenous languages, and demonstrate evidence of relevant peer-reviewed scholarly publications. Relevant teaching experience is desired. The successful candidate’s research could include, but is not limited to, Indigenous/endangered language documentation, the sociocultural dynamics of language and language revitalization, and/or development of technologies in support of endangered language sustainability.

Our department is deeply committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in research and teaching and we particularly encourage and will especially welcome applications from women and/or members of Indigenous communities.

The Department seeks candidates with demonstrated background in and knowledge of issues pertaining to Indigenous peoples, and with experience in community-engaged research with Indigenous communities. Successful candidates will be expected to develop an innovative externally-funded research program, supervise and mentor graduate students, and provide service to the Department, Faculty, University, and discipline. The successful candidate will also be expected to offer courses in linguistics at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, including courses in Indigenous Language Sustainability, including those that are part of our new Certificate in Language Documentation and Revitalization, as well as in their own area of specialization.

To have your application considered, please Apply Online at the link below and submit the following:

  • Cover letter that includes an overview of your program of research and the names of the three referees. Please note: Letters of reference will only be requested from selected candidates. Referees should be prepared to send their letters in January.
  • CV
  • Copies of up to three publications (submitted as one attachment under "List of Publications" option)
  • Teaching dossier that includes a brief teaching philosophy and evidence of teaching effectiveness (Attach under "Statement of Teaching/Research Interests" option)
Any questions should be addressed to Dr. Juhani Järvikivi (jarv...@ualberta.ca), Chair of the Search Committee.

Best,
Jorge
Jorge Emilio Rosés Labrada (He, him, his)
Assistant Professor, Indigenous Language Sustainability

4-22 Assiniboia Hall
Department of Linguistics, University of Alberta

The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the history, languages, and cultures of the First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our institution.