Group status Check

Tesfaye Kidane

Nov 18, 2015, 6:58:44 AM11/18/15
to Ethiopian Community in SC
Hi Everybody,

I hope all with well with you and loved one.

I am checking if this group is still active and can send/receive an email. Please respond if you receive this email by replying to the group.

Thank you
Tesfaye Kidane

wondt...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2015, 7:36:43 AM11/18/15
to ethiopian_c...@googlegroups.com
Selam Tesfaye. Amesegenalehu

Sent from my iPhone
Thank you for joining this forum. Ethiopian Community in SC forum

Menassie Ephrem

Nov 18, 2015, 10:00:45 AM11/18/15
to ethiopian_c...@googlegroups.com
Received. Thank you.

Menassie

Subject: Re: [Ethiopian Community in SC:146] Group status Check
To: ethiopian_c...@googlegroups.com
Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 7:36 AM

Abby Teklehaimanot

Nov 18, 2015, 12:08:45 PM11/18/15
to ethiopian_c...@googlegroups.com

Got it!
Thanks!

Zeineb Saleh

Nov 23, 2015, 1:55:47 AM11/23/15
to ethiopian_c...@googlegroups.com

I got the message, thanks
Zeineb

Dawit Alemu

Nov 25, 2015, 4:58:47 PM11/25/15
to ethiopian_c...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ato Tesfaye,

Indeed the account is perfectly active. However, we became inactive for much time.

Dawit.

measho hagos

Dec 2, 2015, 11:12:13 AM12/2/15
to ethiopian_c...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I just saw this FDA codeine use safety warning and I thought I would share since it's particularly relevant for Ethiopian population. Below is the link but here is a short summary:

What is it?
Safety announcement on the use of Codeine (pain reliever) in young children after tonsil removal (tonsillectomy).

What happened?
Reports of death or life threatening outcomes in children age 2-7 who have taken codeine after tonsil removal.

Why should Ethiopians care?
According to FDA report, Ethiopian population carry a much higher rate (29%) of a DNA mutation in a gene that codes for an enzyme that converts codeine to morphine compared to other populations eg. whites (~7%). This mutation makes the enzyme "super-active", hence individuals that carry this mutation convert codeine to morphine at a very fast rate ("ulta-rapid metabolizes"). Increased level of morphine in children results in respiratory depression. Since the "ultra-rapid metabolizes"  frequency is high among Ethiopians, this might make Ethiopian kids more sensitive to codeine side effects after tonsil removal.

What should parents and caregivers do?
Don't panic! Be informed, talk to your doctor and pay attention to side effects
  • Signs of serious side effects of codeine in children can include unusual sleepiness, confusion, and difficult or noisy breathing. If your child shows these signs, stop giving your child codeine and seek medical attention immediately by taking your child to the emergency room or calling 911.

Read the link below for the full report.

FDA Drug Safety Communication: Codeine use in certain children after tonsillectomy and/or adeno...
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is reviewing reports of children who developed serious adverse effects or died after taking codeine for pain relief after tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome
Preview by Yahoo

Have a wonderful Holiday season.

Best,
Measho